MAN FIRES SHOTS AT THIEF - Kanawha County deputies said they are investigating a shooting in Cedar Grove after a man said he fired warning shots to scare a suspect he saw riding his stolen ATV.

A man was later found with a gunshot wound.

The owner of the ATV, Eric Spelock, 45, of Shrewsbury, told deputies he fired the shots to scare the suspect, according to a news release Monday from the Kanawha County Sheriff’s Office. The suspect abandoned the vehicle and ran from the scene.

A short time later, deputies found Cody Beard, 22, of Cedar Grove on the bank of the Kanawha River with a gunshot wound to his leg, the news release said.

Beard was transported to an area hospital for treatment and surgery. He was in serious condition.

The investigation continues. Deputies said additional information may be released Tuesday.

CLARKSBURG COUNCILMAN CRITICALLY SHOT - More details were released about the alleged carjacking that led to the shooting of Clarksburg city councilman Jim Malfregeot Sunday evening.

Clarksburg Police Chief Mark Kiddy said the incident between Malfregot and Antonio DeJesus, 32, was a random act of violence.

“Police received a report of a suspicious person causing issues at Hardees (restaurant) and in the area,” Kiddy said. “He fled that area, I assume to avoid being picked up by police.”

According to Kiddy, DeJesus went to the driveway of Malfregeot’s home on East Main Street and Malfregeot was preparing to leave with his wife and mother-in-law. The two women were in the car waiting for Malfregot when the incident began.

“Councilman Malfregot heard his wife scream and came outside to attempt to stop the individual,” Kiddy said. “At which time he received one gunshot wound from the suspect.”

DeJesus, with the women in the car, fled the home going the wrong-way on East Main Street to Route 19. That’s when police were first called, Kiddy said.

“We received another phone call that he was traveling northbound in the southbound lane of I-79, members of the Bridgeport Police Department and Harrison County Sheriff’s Department responded to that area,” Kiddy said. “We received another phone call that he was inside the Black Bear Express on Saltwell, upon their arrival he was apprehended in the parking lot.”

Malfregot is in stable but critical condition at Ruby Memorial Hospital, his wife and mother-in-law were not injured.

“He underwent surgery last night at Ruby Memorial Hospital, at this time he is critical condition but stable,” Kiddy said. “There’s a possibility for a second surgery to repair damage they may have missed.

DeJesus was on federal supervised released due to prior drug violations and was wanted by the U.S. Marshals Service.

“He had failed to report once he was in this area,” Kiddy said. “That’s why he was wanted for violation for violation of probation by the U.S. Marshals.”