|Phones were early comers to Calhoun County, not so with electric and broadband.
One of the earliest photographs of Grantsville about 1880 show telephone and
telegraph lines on Main Street.
Alexander Graham Bell's new fangled telephone came to the hills and hollers of
Calhoun, with several independent phone companies springing up in most
communities by 1900.
The crank'em up phones became a major form of communication.
An inquiry from the West Virginia Auditor's Office in 1906 was attempting to obtain
information regarding the parties, owners and numbers on telephone lines.
Beyond systems at Grantsville, Big Bend, Hur, Big Springs and White Pine the inquiry
Arnoldsburg-Doddrell Telephone Company
State and Doddrell Telephone Company
S. J. Wayne Telephone Company
Dr. Lowe and Ralph Bennett Telephone Company
Farmer's Telephone Line