Flames swept through mobile home where
family escaped through dense smoke

By Bob Weaver

The Sigman family escaped with the clothes on their back yesterday afternoon when flames rapidly spread through their mobile home just off State Rt. 16 between Chloe and Nebo.

Monica Sigman said she and two of her small children were asleep in a bedroom when she was awakened by her husband Jerry.

"The place was filled with smoke, you could hardly see to get out," she said, "Thankfully, we did."

The dwelling was fully-engulfed when firemen arrived shortly after a 3 p.m. 911 call.

The family stood in the road watching firemen from the Upper West Fork and Arnoldsburg VFDs douse the flames.

"We have nothing, but somehow we'll start over," said Ms. Sigman.

Neither the mobile home nor the contents were covered by insurance.

The Sigmans have four children, a four-year-old son, three-year-old twin sons, and a one-year-old daughter.

Ms. Sigman acknowledged they have no clothing for the children or for she and her husband.

They are in need of virtually any household item or furniture.

Cash donations will be appreciated.

Donation information can be obtained by calling Thelma Carte at 304-655-9995.