|Submitted by Terry Harris|
A Calhoun County Flag Design Challenge is being sponsored by the Grantsville Town Improvement Committee. The committee is looking for Calhoun connected artists both young and old to enter this challenge for the development of the first Calhoun County flag.
Eligibility requirements include:
1. Entry must have been designed by entrant. The entry form is attached at the conclusion of this article.
2. Competition is open to Calhoun County residents or former residents.
3. Entry must have been designed exclusively for this contest.
4. Entry must arrive at the Calhoun Chronicle office in person or postmarked prior to May 1, 2008.
5. Design must include the following components: a. County name: Calhoun County; b. State name: West Virginia; c. Theme or motto.
Please use ideas from the positive features of our county such as: Its caring, industrious and ingenious people, the love of the land, the many small farms, the festivals, the Little Kanawha River, the various festivals, ramps, farmer's market, the hills and back roads, timber, forests, etc.
6. Submission materials must include: a. completed submission form; .b completed Flag Design Challenge release form; c. color copy of design; d. Artist's bio or small explanation of art experience.
7. There is no limit to the number of entries. Artist may submit more than one design.
8. Mail or deliver entry to Calhoun Chronicle, P.O. Box 400, Grantsville, WV 26147.
9. The design chosen will be announced at the Wood Festival.
10. Entries will be judged by members of the Town Improvement Committee and the Calhoun Historical Society and approved by the Calhoun County Commission.
The following criteria will be taken into consideration: Unique design, structure, style, creative use of Calhoun County elements (theme, colors, name), ease of production, and professional appearance.
One grand prize of $50 will be given. The winner will also receive the privilege of having their design become the official flag of the county and a special commemoration at the unveiling of the flag during a date to be announced.
Any questions can be directed to Terry Harris at firstname.lastname@example.org
Click here for a printable entry form with requirements and additional information.