WV KNIFE AND GUN CLUB - Charleston Police Officer Shot, Dies From Injuries

UPDATE - Charleston Police Officer Cassie Johnson has passed away after being shot in the line of duty Tuesday.

Officer Johnson died Thursday at 4 p.m., approximately 48 hours after she was shot while responding to a call about a parking complaint on Garrison Ave.

She will have a Hero’s Funeral Service at the Charleston Convention Center. The date and time will be announced within the next few days.

Chief Tyke Hunt said on Wednesday, “all of us at the Charleston Police Department are humbled by Cassie Johnson’s selfless service to our profession and she epitomizes the law enforcement mantra, here to protect and serve. Patrolman Cassie Johnson provided her service up to her last breath, for she decided years ago to be an organ donor. We may never know who receives Patrolman Cassie Johnson’s final gifts but I feel certain those who know the recipients will see a difference in them. I think they will see Cassie’s glow that radiates compassion and her desire to help.”

12-2-2020 - A Charleston Police officer shot Tuesday afternoon while responding to a parking complaint has a pulse, but she’s “not out of the woods.”

CPD Chief Tyke Hunt gave that statement during a news conference outside CAMC General where Officer Cassie Johnson is a patient.

“She is a fighter, she has a pulse,” Hunt said, saying Johnson was struck in what is “normally a fatal wound.”

ORIGINAL STORY - A Charleston female police officer responding to a parking complaint was shot and a suspect wounded Tuesday, a spokesperson for the Kanawha County Sheriff’s Office said.

The officer was taken to Charleston Area Medical Center General Hospital. A statement from Charleston Police Chief James “Tyke” Hunt and Mayor Amy Shuler Goodwin said the officer was in surgery. No information about her condition was immediately available.

“This afternoon, a Charleston police officer was shot while in the line of duty,” the city’s statement said. “The officer has been transported to the hospital and is in surgery at this time. We ask all Charleston residents to keep our officer and the entire Charleston Police Department in their thoughts and prayers. We will provide more information as it is available.”

Sgt. Brian Humphreys, spokesperson for the Kanawha County Sheriff’s Office, said the suspect was presumably shot by the officer. Details about what led to the shooting were not immediately available.

Humphreys said the suspect was taken into custody elsewhere on Garrison Avenue by Charleston police.

The sheriff’s office and the Charleston Police Department are investigating.

Multiple police units and paramedics are on scene after a Charleston police officer was shot.

The call came in just after 2:45 p.m. Tuesday on Garrison Avenue. Sgt. Brian Humphreys, spokesperson for the Kanawha County Sheriff's Office, confirmed that one suspect is in custody. The sheriff's office is assisting in the investigation.

Charleston Mayor Amy Goodwin is currently at CAMC General Hospital where the officer was taken. Police say the officer was shot in the face.