NUTTER FAMILY EARLY COMERS TO TRIPLETT RUN - How About Some Wildroot Cream Oil, Old Crow And Sal Hepatica?

By Bob Weaver

The Nutter family resided on both sides of the West Fork of the Little Kanawha, in Roane and Calhoun County, many of them in the Triplett Run area.

Triplett, also known by other names, starts near Bowers Hill (US 33-119) near Spencer, the turn-off known as "Nine Foot," an early concrete road nine feet wide.

The creek winds its way to the West Fork of the Little Kanawha, where dozens of early families settled, establishing at least two churches and three one room schools. There was once the Morford post office.

The first church known as the Little Creek Regular Baptist Church was established in 1853, a log structure, in addition to one room schools, Bartlett, Oak Grove and Tammnany.

The last remaining church, Little Creek Baptist, established in 1893 is pastored by Rev. James Epling, a short distance from the now gone Tysons General Store.

Among the early comers, the Nutter family, connected to the early Starcher family, who were "thicker than broomsedge."

John Morton Nutter (1874-1961) was married to Melinda
Connolly (1873-1965) in 1901, she was a descendant of
Calhoun early comer George C. "Doctor" Connolly (1761-
1838), they spent their life on Triplett Run in Roane County,
a short distance from the West Fork of the Little Kanawha

The parents of John Nutter, Joseph H. Nutter (1842-1907) son of Isaac and Martha Holbert Nutter and wife Manerva Starcher Nutter (1842-1911), daughter pf William "Billy Bluehead" and Nancy Mucklewain Starcher, early settlers who owned several thousand acres of land in the lower West Fork of Little Kanawha and Roane County

Vernon and Sandra Fort now own the restored John Nutter
home on Triplett Run, Vernon continues to restore the
house using it for housing his antiques and collectibles.

Rev. James Epling, a longtime Baptist minister and resident of
Triplett Run, examines Fort's collection of bottles and cans

John Nutter's household items retrieved from a sealed
space by Fort, the house now surrounded by flora and fauna