A case is moving forward against juvenile Ronnie Rush of Sand Ridge in the gruesome double homicides of Ward Groves and his ex-wife Mary Hicks last May 15th.

Judge Thomas Evans III has ruled that Rush will be tried as an adult. Rush was 16-years-old when the murders happened.

A presentment will likely be made before a Calhoun grand jury.

Evans ruled that trying Rush as an adult is based on "physical evidence, evidence of motive, evidence of theft of money of Warden Groves, evidence of opportunity by Ronnie Rush to commit these murders," in addition to other evidence.

Rush reportedly gave conflicting statements to the State Police regarding the murders, once saying he saw masked individuals leaving the house.

Court documents also indicate he told his father that Bobby Ray Shamblin of Stumptown held him at gunpoint while Shamblin committed the crimes.

Shamblin was initially charged with crimes related to the murder, but an apparent lack of evidence prevented the case from moving ahead. Shamblin was released from Central Regional Jail on bond.

Police say at least three different "batches" of money are connected to Ronnie Rush, money that could be part of a $170,000 inheritance received by the victim Ward Groves before his murder.

Calhoun Chief Deputy Sheriff Carl Ballengee and Sheriff Allen Parsons discovered about $1,000 in a GMC Blazer driven by Rush shortly after the murders.

Other cash and coins, reportedly belonging to Groves, was found in a Chevy S-10 truck purchased by Rush from the victim and parked near the murder scene.

State Police returned to a trailer several weeks later occupied by Rush's father and step-mother where $2,700 was discovered in a trash can, according to a statement made by Trooper Jeff Hunt.

Rush reportedly backed out of a polygraph test while he was a suspect and later tried to enlist help to escape from a juvenile facility where he was being held.

Court documents say "Ronnie Rush had knowingly attempted to deceive the police" and that a motive of "greed" may have driven the commission of the crime.

Warden Groves suffered a shotgun blast to the head, with his pants pockets found to be inside-out and some cash money visible. The body of Mary Hicks was discovered in another room. Both victims were in bed.

Rush reportedly had been helping Groves in a recent move to the dwelling, and was described by neighbors as "being friends," Groves "was like a father to him." Rush had reportedly stayed overnight with Groves on frequent occasions.