UPDATED: TROOPER MARSHALL BAILEY FONDLY REMEMBERED - Former Calhoun Trooper Eric Workman On Life Support, Roane Deputy Expected To Recover, Details Of Incident Given


Slain State Police Trooper Marshall Lee Bailey, 42, is being fondly remembered in his hometown of Poca. He was a 17 year veteran.

Bailey was shot and killed following a traffic stop Tuesday night at the Wallback I-79 exit in Clay County Tuesday.

Trooper Bailey leaves behind two daughters and a son, ages 22, 6, and 4, his parents and a younger brother.

Poca High School Principal Vic Donaldson said Bailey graduated from Poca High School in 1988, and was a good student and athlete.

Also shot and in critical condition on life support is Trooper Eric Michael Workman, 26, at CAMC.

Workman enrolled with the State Police in January 2011, played baseball at West Virginia State University and made the 1st All-Conference team in 2008 and 2009.

During his time at WVSU, he broke numerous school records and ranks first in games played, runs scored, hits, doubles and triples in school history.

He was also named Player of the Year in 2009 by the West Virginia Conference coaches. During a press conference Wednesday, State Police Col. Jay Smithers said Workman's condition was "extreme," and he was in a coma and on life-support.

Both officers were assigned to the Clay Detachment.

Workman had previously been assigned to Calhoun County.

Gov. Earl Ray Tomblin has order state flags to be lowered.

The suspect in the incident, identified as Luke Baber of Oak Hill, was shot and killed by Roane County Deputy Sheriff John Westfall.

Westfall was also shot in the abdomen, but his life was saved by a bulletproof vest, according to the Roane County Sheriff. He is expected to recover.

State Police during a news conference Wednesday said at about 7:30 p.m. Tuesday the two troopers pulled over a car for reckless driving at the Wallback Park and Ride off Interstate 79 in Clay County.

State Police said the suspect, Baber, was taken into custody and placed in the back of a State Police cruiser. While the two troopers were waiting on a wrecker to tow the suspect's vehicle, it is believed that Baber shot both officers with a gun he had in his possession when he was apprehended, a 9mm pistol.

Colonel Jay Smithers said Baber was intoxicated.

WVSP says Baber took Trooper Workman's gun after shooting him and used that gun to shoot a tow driver.

Several minutes later, King's Wrecker Service arrived on the scene. The driver of the wrecker, William Massey, was shot in the arm by Baber, but he was able to escape and call for help within minutes.

The suspect then fled the scene on foot. A short time later, sheriff's deputies from Clay and Roane counties encountered Baber in a wooded area. Gunfire was exchanged, resulting in the suspect's death.

Police said in December 2009, Baber was arrested by Fayette County sheriff's deputies after he threatened his parents with what turned out to be a BB gun.

Baber told deputies he pulled the gun in an attempt to get officers to kill him, according to a criminal complaint filed in Fayette County Magistrate Court.

According to the complaint, Baber's mother called 911 and said her son was threatening both of his parents.

When Fayette deputies arrived, they found Baber being restrained by his father on the floor, with the BB gun under him.

The complaint says Baber would not cooperate with deputies and refused to let them put handcuffs on him, resulting in a struggle.

Once Baber was in custody, he "stated he pulled the gun (which was determined to be a BB pistol) in [an] attempt to get law enforcement to kill him," Deputy D.S. Wysong said in the complaint.

Baber's also admitted. according to the complaint, he had prescription drugs on his person, but they had not been prescribed for him.

State Police Col. Jay Smithers thanked all of the local and federal agencies that assisted authorities in locating the suspect. "We had an outpouring of support, and we're very appreciative of the collaborative effort that helped us locate Mr. Baber so quickly," Smithers said.

"This afternoon, I'd ask folks to continue to pray for the other individuals who were injured."

(Trooper Workman, 27, died later)