Man Loses Leg in Horrible Accident in 1941


Transcribed by Norma Knotts Shaffer from microfilm of the Calhoun Chronicle dated 8/28/1941 and 9/11/1941.


Curt Bower Loses Leg In Ghastly Accident

Curt Bower, well known and long-time employee of the Eureka Pipe Line Company, of Brooksville, lost his right leg in a most shocking accident at Cabot Station Thursday.  He and others were hauling sand from the river, using a truck and wire line to haul the material to the top of the bank.  In some manner Mr. Bower stepped into a coil in the line and his right leg was sheared off cleanly just above the knee.

The victim was brought to this place where Dr. Artz dressed the member and gave a blood transfusion.  He was then removed to Parkersburg where the amputation was completed, and he is said to be getting along well at this time.

Mr. Bower was on vacation at the time of accident and was helping his son, Paul Bower, build a new residence near Brooksville.  He is a fine citizen and his many friends were shocked when they heard of the accident.


Dr. Artz Uses Latest

Curt Bower, 64, suffering from a traumatic amputation of the right leg in the low thigh position, was carried to the office of Dr. Curtis P. Artz, local physician, September 4th.  He was injured while hauling sand from the river at Cabot Station, a few miles below Grantsville.  His son, Paul, an employee of Godfrey L. Cabot, Inc., and well trained in first aid work, courageously clamped the femoral artery with his fingers and stopped the blood flow, while his father was transferred to Dr. Artz's office.

He was pale, pulseless and in profound shock when Dr. Artz examined him.  After the use of sedatives to allay the pain, Dr. Artz administered Lyovac normal human blood plasma. Lyovac is dried blood plasma in a powdered form which, when compounded with distilled water, produces the same result as the old type blood transfusion.  It is the same type blood plasma now being supplied to the U.S. Army, U.S. Navy and by the Red Cross in Great Britain.  It enables the physician to give a transfusion of blood plasma within a few minutes, eliminating the process of cross-matching or typing of the patient's blood.

While the human blood plasma was being administered, Dr. Artz transferred Mr. Bower to an ambulance and continued the administration of the plasma in the ambulance en route to a Parkersburg hospital.  Upon arrival at the hospital, one hour and twenty minutes later, his pulse was normal and he was completely recovered from shock.  Dr. Artz was then able to complete the operation.

It is understood that Dr. Artz is one of the few physicians in the country to have used this new medical development and he should be highly commended for his farsightedness in stocking this blood plasma as an insurance for the people of this community against such accidents.