County officials and Masonic members gathered for the
laying of the cornerstone of Calhoun's new courthouse
(David Hathaway Photo)
By Bob Weaver
It was 78 years ago in Grantsville in 1942, that the cornerstone of the county's new courthouse was laid, with the official opening some months later.
The courthouse had been located in numerous buildings during a bitter struggle over the location of the county seat, with an official courthouse being built in Grantsville.
Built on land owned by Simon P. Stump, Grantsville's founder, the depression era WPA project was moving ahead when it was slowed by World War II.
The county notables participated in the ceremony, the cornerstone laid by Most Worshipful Grand Lodge of Masons.
The cornerstone was dedicated in 1942,
holding historical documents and artifacts
The county's first prominent courthouse was built in
Grantsville in the 1880s (Photo Courtesy of Eugene Shaffer)
The Calhoun Commission more recently received some grant money to make much needed repairs to the roof, the original flat roof repaired many times.
New windows have been installed in recent years, greatly reducing the cost of heating.
For a dozen or more years, the commission has attempted to get grant money to install an elevator to help the handicapped get up multiple flights of stairs, to little success.
Now, a chair-lift has been installed for two floors.
Courtroom has heard thousands of cases since 1942
The austere commission chambers (left) known as "the
little courtroom"; the courthouse is known for flights
of stairs, a problem that has yet to be solved
See CALHOUN COURTHOUSE IS "ART MODERNE"