A former Calhoun County High School band director, Clinton E. Foster, 88, of Warren, Ohio and Ronceverte, W.Va., has died. Clinton has been well remembered for his dedication to students during his time in Calhoun.|
He passed away on Saturday, March 31, 2018, after a brief illness. Mr. Foster was born in Hinton, on February 6, 1930, to Cecil E. and Nina W. Foster. He attended high school at Nitro High School, where he graduated as Valedictorian of the class of 1948.
Clinton married his high school sweetheart, Joan Hudnall, on August 25, 1951, at St. Paul's Methodist Church in Nitro. Their marriage continued until Mrs. Foster's death on August 10, 2016.
After graduating as Valedictorian of Nitro High in 1948, he attended Marshall College where he earned a Bachelor's degree in Music and a Master's degree in Music Education in 1955.
In 1955 he obtained his first teaching position in Parkersburg and then became Band Director at Calhoun County High School, Grantsville.
In August, 1960, the Fosters moved to Warren, where Clinton became Assistant Band Director at Warren G. Harding High School. Clinton was at Harding until a second high school, Warren Western Reserve, was opened in 1966, where he served as Band Director.
All four of his children graduated from Warren Western Reserve and were very active in the music program. Clinton eventually became the Supervisor of Music for the Warren City School System. He retired from teaching in 1985.
In 2001, Clinton was the very fortunate recipient of a successful kidney transplant from his daughter, Stacey, and he enjoyed 17 years of good health as a result of this gift of life.
Clinton very much enjoyed classical music, golf, bridge, camping, model railroading and spending time with his family. He relished continued contact with many of his former students from high schools.
Both Mr. and Mrs. Foster chose to donate their remains to the Human Gift Registry Program.
Calling hours in Lewisburg WV will take place from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Saturday, May 5, at the Activities Hall in the Educational Building of Old Stone Presbyterian Church, 644 Church Street.