|By Bob Weaver|
The top positive story of most years in Calhoun is an accumulation of dozens and dozens of stories about people who have come to the aid of their neighbors during tough times, through volunteerism, fundraisers or special efforts.
Calhoun's handfuls of emergency responders showing up to help citizens in time of need.
It is neighbor helping neighbor that makes life special in this rural community, including the outreach extended by community organizations and churches that still have open doors.
Although there is a wide perception that crime is on the rise, it is actually down, and Calhoun is one of the safest places to live.
Here, not in order, are some of the top news stories reported by the Hur Herald in 2016:
1. COLUMBIA'S $94 MILLION COMPRESSOR STATION STILL ON TRACK - The Calhoun Commission says the building of a Mountaineer XPress compressor station in northern Calhoun is still on track, expected to help the county tax coffers.
MOUNTAINEER XPRESS $2.7 BILLION NATURAL GAS PROJECT COMING TO REGION
COLUMBIA PIPELINE ON SELLING BLOCK? - Mountaineer Xpress Development Connected To Calhoun
TRANSCANADA PURCHASES COLUMBIA PIPELINE - Columbia Mountaineer Xpress Project Affects Calhoun
SMITHVILLE PUBLIC MEETING THURSDAY: $2 BILLION 36" PIPELINE CROSSING SHORT SECTION OF NORTHERN CALHOUN - $100 Million Compressor Station Proposed In County
COLUMBIA PIPELINE BUILDER SEEKING TAX BREAKS - Counties Could Benefit Too
COMMISSIONER WESTFALL SAYS $100 MILLION COLUMBIA COMPRESSOR STATION WILL BE IN CALHOUN
CALHOUN COMMISSION SAYS $94 MILLION COMPRESSOR STATION STILL ON TRACK DESPITE OWNERSHIP CHANGE
LOCATION OF $100 MILLION COLUMBIA COMPRESSOR STATION IN CALHOUN NOT A DONE DEAL
CALHOUN COMMISSION MEETS WITH COLUMBIA PIPELINE REGARDING TAXATION OF COMPRESSOR STATION - Considers Pilot Proposal Benefiting Calhoun Schools, Funds To Be Applied To $1.7 Million Deficit
2. CALHOUN MURDER INDICTMENTS PENDING IN DEATH OF PARKERSBURG MAN - It was a tangled web involving drugs, deception, kidnapping, torture, robbery and murder
FOUR CHARGED FIRST DEGREE MURDER IN VIOLENT CALHOUN DRUG RELATED EPISODE - Deception, Kidnapping, Torture, Robbery
3. MARK CUNNINGHAM MURDER TRIAL DELAYED - Charged With 2014 Death Of Pauline Headley - The 2014 murder trail for Mark Allen Cunningham, 42, charged in the violent death of a Grantsville woman Pauline Headley, 59, has been delayed. Calhoun prosecutor Shannon Jones said a new trial date has not yet been set.
MARK CUNNINGHAM MURDER TRIAL DELAYED - Charged With 2014 Death Of Pauline Headley
4. NICUT MAN ADAM COUCH PLEADS TO SECOND DEGREE MURDER OF ROSEDALE MAN DELBERT KING - 55 year old Adam Couch will be sentenced on Jan. 9, 2017 by a Gilmer court for the murder of Delbert King.
NICUT MAN ADAM COUCH PLEADS TO SECOND DEGREE MURDER OF ROSEDALE MAN DELBERT KING
5. GRANTSVILLE GETS $350,000 FOR STREETSCAPE PROJECT - The Transportation Alternatives and Recreational Trails Grant programs provided more than $7 million for a variety of improvements, including $350,000 to Grantsville for a Main Street Streetscape beautification project.
6. COUNTY LOSES STATE POLICE DETACHMENT - After more than 85 years, Calhoun lost its State Police Detachment after a years-long fight with the Calhoun Commission over its closure. State Police said they expect to provide even better coverage to the county.
CALHOUN COMMISSION HELPS RETAIN STATE POLICE PRESENCE - Detachment Moved To Glenville
7. CALHOUN RECYCLING CENTER GETS PROPERTY DONATED - The deed to the old Cabot-Hope Compressor Station was finally transferred on October 26, 2016 to the Calhoun County Solid Waste Authority (CCSWA) operating as Cabot Recycling Station, ending a year-long saga.
THE SAGA ENDS: CABOT RECYCLING RECEIVES PROPERTY DEED
8. PLEASANT HILL $2.4 PSD WATER EXPANSION MOVING FORWARD -
- Pleasant Hill Public Service District (PSD) held a bid opening for the PSD's Leaf Bank, Upper Back Fork and Leading Creek Water Extension Project
BIDS BEING LET FOR $2.4 MILLION PLEASANT HILL WATER PROJECT - Bid Announcement Released
9. CALHOUN BELEAGUERED SCHOOLS MIXED BAG WITH ACADEMIC OUTCOME - Deficit Loitering Near $1.7 Million, System Struggles Through Tough Year.
ED-WATCH: WV'S 668 PUBLIC SCHOOLS GET A-F RATING - Calhoun Middle-High Gets D Rating, Regional School Results
CALHOUN SCHOOLS PERFORMANCE UNDER NEW A-F RATING SYSTEM
ED-WATCH: CALHOUN HIGH SCHOOL COLLEGE ENTRANCE APPLICATIONS RATES LOWEST IN WV?
CALHOUN SCHOOL ADMINISTRATORS APPEALING DISMISSAL DECISION TO KANAWHA CIRCUIT COURT
ED-WATCH: BEHAVIORAL PROBLEMS PLAGUE CALHOUN MIDDLE-HIGH SCHOOL - School Trying To Solve Problem
CALHOUN SCHOOL'S SUPREME COURT PERSONNEL CASE COULD SET PRECEDENT
ED-WATCH: WV GRIEVANCE BOARD RULES AGAINST FIRED CALHOUN SCHOOL EMPLOYEES - Board Office Reorganization Saved $55,000-$60,000 With $1.8 Million Deficit
CALHOUN'S BELEAGUERED SCHOOL BOARD HIT WITH COMPLAINTS - Kirby Calls For Resignations, Whited Calls For Building Trust