|Following the story on a Clay County official's comments calling first lady Michelle Obama "an ape in high heels," with agreement from Clay's mayor, we have now received hundreds of comments and phone calls, a few are published below.|
After the story was published and picked up by state and national media, the Hur Herald had over 150,000 visitors a day.
- "I'm so angry at this woman trying to diminish Michelle Obama. Michelle is a role model for all first ladies in future to emulate: authentic, caring, beautiful, elegant, intelligent, well-educated, loving wife and mother and great First Lady. I wonder how many of these qualities Ms. Taylor possesses."
"Angry as I am, I'd hate for her to lose her job. I hope she recognizes her error in judgement. Perhaps an apology from her to Mrs. Obama on facebook would help."
Grass Valley, Ca
- "America is going through some very unsettling scary times.....and this past Presidential election has brought out all the "uglies", definitely given them permission to shout their racist call "Make America White Again". The deep divisions are erupting daily and Trump stoked the fire big time. The "learning curve" has stalled at the starting line, multi-cuturalism and tolerance are pushed aside. "Jim Crow" is flying high and the far right international leaders are issuing in their "new dawn".
"We must always remember that Hitler was democratically elected when the German people were feeling anxious, the economy was bankrupt, people were suffering and they were ready to blame the "other"....at that time the "other" was mainly the Jewish people. The "other" is always there to feed society's anxieties.....just requires a determined leader plus good timing to persuade the citizens to help stoke the fire. Pamela Taylor and Mayor Beverly Whaling responded to the call."
Respectively, Ruth Maclaurin
- "Dear Sir,
I have recently read about the statements made by Clay's developer and mayor. I am not a Trump supporter, but I am disturbed by the comments made by these two women in power who showed racist and hateful mindsets against the present First Lady of this country.
While I am not a resident of West Virginia, some of my family history goes back to that part of the country, especially my last name, which is not usual.
It saddens me, as a 10th generation American who has family ties with your state to see such blatant ignorance and racism still existing in this day and age.
While the posts may have been taken down, be assured that once it is out on the internet, it never goes away. It is out there for all the world to see. There were at least 155 comments on Facebook against the statements made by Clay's officials.
I doubt that is not the light the people of Clay, WV want the world to see them in. Unfortunately, many have already come to the conclusion that all of you are Southern racist white trash, but, as a native of Texas and a student of history, I have hopes that true Southern hospitality and class will win in the end.
Please do not let these two women define what your town and state are all about. Thank you for your time."
_ "You're just an anti-Trump (deleted) because he won."
- "The story about the Clay County woman who called the First Lady ... well, I don't want to repeat it ... was so unbelievable..." - D. M. Summers County
- "[Deleted] Pam Taylor Ramsey should be fired. She demonstrates [deleted] the southern white trash behavior. A freshman dropout, porn-star is moving into the White House, replacing a Harvard Law School graduate...Michelle Obama has morals and scruples and self esteem. She is a lady, and is a good role model...Get rid of the (deleted) that work for Clay. They are disgusting..."
- "I can't find any other news organization carrying the story of her remarks about Michelle Obama. Is this satire or did this really happen? Did you get a screen shot of her Facebook where this was said?"
- "Nice talk from county officials...She is ignorant and sounds pretty racist. Michelle Obama is a beautiful, intelligent and an amazing woman.This lady and your mayor should be reprimanded for unethical remarks. Is this how you folks run your county in WV?
You should be proud or yourselves..."
- I'm so angry at this woman trying to diminish Michelle Obama. Michelle is a role model for all first ladies in future to emulate: authentic, caring, beautiful, elegant, intelligent, well-educated, loving wife and mother and great First Lady. I wonder how many of these qualities Ms. Taylor possesses. Angry as I am, I'd hate for her to lose her job. I hope she recognizes her error in judgement. Perhaps an apology from her to Mrs. Obama on facebook would help.
Grass Valley, Ca
- "Please remind this woman that she is [deleted] a cruel, small-minded idiot."
- "That is quite a shame. She should be fired. How racist and derogatory can you be. This is the type of comment which fuels hatred ..."
- "I am seeing on my Facebook page today a story about the Clay Mayor and another Clay official (Pamela Ramsey) using a racial slur to describe our first lady. I see that your paper was the source. Can you tell me where you got this story? "
- "How can they call Michelle Obama an ape in high heels and Trumps wife classy? We have a FLOTUS that is a porn star..."
- "This woman should be terminated, she is a biased bigoted person and racist."
- "Taylor and the mayor should be fired... RACISTS [deleted]"
- "Pamela Ramsey Taylor needs to take a good look her self... because this is what a racist person would do call Michelle Obama an ape? Is this Woman jealous because of Michelle beauty, intelligent, educated, classy, respectful. She said it best, "We take the high road and they take the low road." How embarrassing for this company she works for."
"Thanks for your story about the racist ladies. Great Reporting!"