PRESS RELEASE -
Our story begins with the M.E. Stump Hardware and Furniture Company and the M.E. Stump Undertaking Company founded in Grantsville WV in late 1800’s by Martha E. Stump and her son Ira Nelson Stump whose ancestors migrated from Germany years prior.|
The company constructed, among other items, burial rough boxes and “coffins”. The boxes and coffins were purchased by families for their loved ones and were shipped to many areas around the state by horse and wagon or by boat from the boat docks that once stood on the banks of the Little Kanawha River in Grantsville.
From the furniture store, the Stump Funeral Home was formally established by Ira Nelson Stump in 1897. It is one of the only two local businesses from that era still operational today in the area.
Now known as Stump Funeral Home, Inc., our company has been family owned and operated since it began over 117 years ago in the back of a small country store.
In 1988, to better serve families, John S. Stump, Director, son of Ira Charles Stump and great grandson of the late Ira N. Stump opened a second funeral home location at 1441 Arnoldsburg Road, Arnoldsburg.
It is time once again for a change at the Stump Funeral Home. To better serve our community John S. Stump, Director and his son J. Neil Stump, Director, are looking to relocate the Grantsville location from 107 Market Street to a more modern and more easily accessible facility.
To facilitate this change, the Grantsville location, formerly known by Calhoun locals as the old Pell house will first be sold. Once the sale is complete, work will begin on the new facility.
The Stump family is reviewing several options for this new location and we will provide information to the public as the transition progresses.
We, at the Stump Funeral Home look forward to this exciting improvement as we add to our long family history in Calhoun County. We are thankful for our friends and families that entrust us with the care of their loved ones and we look forward to many more years of service.