CALHOUN COMMISSION PRESS RELEASE|
After months of deliberation, the Calhoun County Commission has made a final decision to turn the Calhoun County Emergency Medical Services over to Minnie Hamilton Health System.
This decision was made after a thorough evaluation was made by the West Virginia EMS Technical Support Network, which questioned the viability of the current EMS.
At this point, the Calhoun County Commission realized the critical situation of the Calhoun County EMS.
As a result, they asked for proposals from both the current Calhoun County EMS as well as Minnie Hamilton Health System.
After studying both proposals, the Calhoun County Commission feels that Minnie Hamilton Health System is the best organization to provide the emergency services to Calhoun County for the following reasons:
(1) Minnie Hamilton is a Critical Access Hospital and is therefore able to be reimbursed at a higher rate by Medicare and Medicaid. (This higher rate only applies to Medicare and Medicaid and not to private pay and private insurance).
(2) There will be improved services in southern Calhoun County with a 911 response ambulance available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
(3) Due to Minnie Hamilton Health System's financial stability, the Calhoun County Commission intends to reduce or eliminate the EMS portion of the current levy. This will reduce taxes to the citizens of Calhoun County.
(4) Minnie Hamilton Health System has agreed to employ most current employees of Calhoun County EMS with an increase in pay, training, and benefits.
(5) Minnie Hamilton Health System will provide quarterly reports to the Calhoun County Commission on the financial and service status of the emergency services they provide.
(6) The current EMS ambulances are old and often unreliable. Minnie Hamilton intends to use money from the last year of the EMS Levy funds to purchase new ambulances and equipment.
The Calhoun County Commission desires a rapid, smooth transition from the current Calhoun County EMS to Minnie Hamilton Health System to avoid the possibility of a tragedy due to failure of equipment.
See CALHOUN COMMISSION WILL DECIDE ON FUTURE OF AMBULANCE SERVICE - Calhoun EMS/Minnie Hamilton Health System Issue Proposals
And MINNIE HAMILTON WILL BE COUNTY AMBULANCE PROVIDER IN 30 DAYS - Commission Hopes For Smooth Transition