A decision last week to not let Youth League Football play on the new Calhoun
Middle/High School field at Mount Zion has raised the hackles of several parents.|
Parent Crissy Jones appeared before the school board last Monday, expressing her
anger over the denial, stating she could not understand what harm 80-120 pound
players could do to the field, using it four times this fall.
The school board, by consensus, supported Principal Roger Propst and
Superintendent Ron Blankenship, who said the field was still too fragile this year for
activity beyond the regular school football programs.
Since the meeting, Superintendent of Schools Ron Blankenship said "I have since
spoken with some of the people involved with the youth league football program and
applaud their efforts."
Blankenship said he understood their concern regarding use of the new football field,
but feels the field needs as much time as possible before heavy use.
He said he had asked Principal Propst to determine if the scoreboard control panel at
the old Wayne Underwood Field could be repaired for use.
Other parents complained about the use of the old field, saying water, bleachers,
snack bar, rest rooms and other facilities are not currently available, although some
of those services are expected to be developed by the Calhoun Commission, the new
owner of the field.
The ownership of the old field was transferred to the Calhoun Commission by the
school board last week.
The Herald has received several letters to the editor, some of which are published
under WE GET LETTERS, in addition to other e-mail regarding the denial. One
writer says petitions will be circulated in the community.