By Gaylen Duskey

Often numbers tell the story.

Such was the case Friday night at Mount Zion.

The key numbers here are:

Calhoun fumbled six times and lost four. Calhoun had two passes intercepted. Calhoun was penalized 15 times for 126 yards. Calhoun lost to South Harrison 42-0.

Calhoun didn't play badly, in a way, keeping South Harrison from breaking any long runs until the fourth quarter when the Hawks first team had a couple of long gains against the Red Devils' reserve unit. Other than that the Hawks longest rushing gain was 16 yards and the longest play of any kind was a 21 yard pass.

But the bad numbers - fumbles, interceptions and penalties - hit the Red Devils at the worst time and allowed South Harrison to make a tough game look much easier than it really was.

Calhoun battled back and forth in the first quarter with neither team gaining much traction until the Hawks brought in sophomore running back Austin Glasspell. Although neither team was able to score in the first period Glasspell had 49 yards rushing and did put the Hawks in position to score early in the second period.

Glasspell had the touchdown on a five yard run, one of three he would score, just seven seconds into the period. It capped a 91-yard drive that started deep in its own territory after the Red Devils had passes batted down on third and fourth down as the Hawks' defense rose to the occasion.

After stopping the Red Devils again, thanks to a holding penalty that killed the drive, South Harrison once again was stopped when it went on offense. But a late hit on the Red Devils (the player was already in the air en route to the South Harrison runner when the whistle blew) kept the drive alive and the Hawks got a six yard touchdown run from Tyler Childers and took a 14-0 halftime lead as kicker Spencer Shriver hit the second of his six extra point kicks.

Calhoun coughed the ball up early in the second allowing South Harrison to get good field position. Glasspell scored from two yards out on a drive that was, again, aided by penalties on the Red Devils.

And the third quarter carnage was just getting started.

The next time Calhoun got the ball it turned it over again. And again a couple of key penalties helped the Hawks keep the drive alive allowing Isaac Corley to score from two yards out.

Calhoun's offense failed to get anything going once again and the Hawks started another drive. This one was aided by back-to-back penalties on the Red Devils, who learned on that series that is is always the man who retaliates (throws the second punch) who gets caught. That was the case and the result was Ben Aylstock's one yard run giving South Harrison a 35-0 lead.

Glasspell's 41 yard run against the Calhoun reserves in the final period was followed by another Shriver extra point setting the final score at 42-0.

Glasspell was the games leading rusher with 148 yards on 19 carries.

For Calhoun Logan Moore led the way with 51 yards on 14 carries. Moore also passed for 95 yards as Calhoun ended up with 107 passing and 110 yards rushing. Nathan Peck led the Red Devils with 31 yards on one reception while Joseph Richards had 34 on three receptions, Mason Sheldon 30 on two receptions and Ethyn Miller 12 on one.

Calhoun, 2-4, will travel to St. Marys next Friday night in an attempt to end its four-game skid.

Hur Herald ©from Sunny Cal
The information on these pages, to the extent the law allows, remains the exclusive property of Bob Weaver and The Hur Herald. information cannot be not be used in any type of commercial endeavor, or used on a web site without the express permission of the owner. Hur Herald published printed editions 1996-1999, Online ©Hur Herald Publishing, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019