By Gaylen Duskey


The game lasted less than a quarter but it may have seemed like an eternity to a stunned Calhoun Middle School defense.

With 8.4 seconds remaining in the first quarter lightning was seen near Calhoun Stadium Thursday night sending the teams - Braxton and Calhoun - scurrying for the locker room.

After about an hour, with no letup in the lighting flashes, the game was called with Braxton on top 40-6.

Braxton struck about as quickly as the lighting did, putting the Red Devils in a hole and quickly throwing the dirt in on top of them.

It began on the first play from scrimmage when Benjamin Fincham rambled 68 yards for a touchdown. D'Andre Jarvis scored the extra point run and Braxton was on top only 33 seconds into the contest.

Fincham's run came after a penalty nullified Ryan Kimberling's long run with the opening kickoff that had taken the ball inside the Red Devils' five yard line. Both quick strikes, including the long kickoff return that was called back, were merely a portend of things to come.

Fincham struck again three plays later when he took a Calhoun punt and rambled 64 yards for a touchdown. This time Lucas Bonnett added the extra point conversion and the score stood at 16-0.

It did not take Braxton long to change that as Braxton took over the ball again at the Calhoun 20 yard line and scored on two plays. The first run was stopped at the Red Devils' one marking the second, and last, tackle Calhoun was to record.

The touchdown run was by Jarvis. It was the third and last offensive play Braxton would run and after Braden Poling's extra point conversion it was 24-0 and there was 4:47 remaining in the first quarter.

Although Braxton would not line up on offense again it did add two more touchdowns.

The first came when Fincham picked off a pass at the 50 yard line and raced for the score.

The second came when Fincham took a kickoff back 65 yards following Calhoun's only score of the game.

Extra point runs by Poling and Bonnett set Braxton's final score. Calhoun got on the board with 21.5 seconds remaining in the quarter when Seth Moore's four-yard run capped a sustained Red Devils' drive. Calhoun missed the extra point attempt.

Moore led Calhoun, 2-3, with 52 yards on nine carries. He came into the game with 772 yards rushing and nine touchdowns on the season. Jakob Holcomb backed Moore with four yards on three carries.

Braxton, 5-0, was led by Fincham with 68 yards on one carry.

Calhoun will try to get back on the winning track next Thursday when it travels to Clay.

Hur Herald ©from Sunny Cal
The information on these pages, to the extent the law allows, remains the exclusive property of Bob Weaver and The Hur Herald. information cannot be not be used in any type of commercial endeavor, or used on a web site without the express permission of the owner. Hur Herald published printed editions 1996-1999, Online ©Hur Herald Publishing, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019