CALHOUN COUNTY BOARD OF EDUCATION
JULY 1, 2002|
At the Office of the Superintendent, Grantville, West Virginia; Monday, July 1, 2002
MEMBERS PRESENT: Ralph Cunningham, Richard Fitzwater, Carlene Frederick, Donald Harris and Burl Simers,
Ronald Blankenship, Secretary
The meeting was called to order by President Fitzwater at 7:00 p.m.
OATH OF OFFICE:
Superintendent Blankenship administered the oath of office to newly elected board members Richard Fitzwater, Carlene
Frederick and Donald Harris.
REORGANIZATION OF THE BOARD:
Mr. Cunningham nominated Mr. Fitzwater as Board President. Mr. Cunningham moved and Mrs. Frederick seconded that
the nominations be closed and Mr. Fitzwater be elected by acclamation. Motion carried unanimously.
Mr. Simers nominated Mrs. Frederick as Board Vice President. Mr. Simers moved and Mr. Harris seconded that the
nominations be closed and Mrs. Frederick be elected by acclamation. Motion carried unanimously.
The following committee appointments were approved:
Mr. Cunningham - Calhoun-Gilmer Career Center Administrative Council
Mrs. Frederick - RESA V Board of Directors
Mr. Simers - WVU Extension Service Board
Mr. Cunningham moved and Mrs. Frederick seconded that the minutes of the June 3, 2002 meeting be approved. Motion
Tammy Nichols and Jim Morgan spoke to the Board about relocating the middle school playground with the matter to be
determined at the August 5, 2002 board meeting.
Mrs. Frederick reported on the June 12, 2002 RESA meeting.
Mr. Cunningham reported on the CGCC June 24, 2002 meeting.
Mr. Pitts reported on Pleasant Hill Renovations.
Mr. Cartwright reported on the following:
a. Senior Year Enhancement Initiative
b. Policy 2510 Assuring the Quality of Education
c. Policy 4110 Attendance
d. Policy 4373 Student Code of Conduct
e. Spanish 1A for 2002-2003
f. Job Specialist for Jobs for West Virginia Graduates Program
Mr. Cunningham moved and Mr. Simers seconded that the Bullying, Harassment, and Intimidation Policy be approved as
presented. Motion carried unanimously.
Mr. Cunningham moved and Mr. Simers seconded that the following new business be approved as presented:
A. Student Transfer Requests
1. Ashley Arthur (4th grade) from Wirt County to Calhoun County
2. Cynthia Brown (6th grade) from Calhoun County to Clay County
3. Jason Brown (4th grade) from Calhoun County to Clay County
4. Regina Davisson from Wood County to Calhoun County
5. William J. Hall from Braxton County to Calhoun County
6. Jeremiah Hamburg (8th grade) from Calhoun County to Braxton County
7. Ashley Hicks (1st grade) from Calhoun County to Roane County
8. Brittany Hicks (kindergarten) from Calhoun County to Roane County
9. Chelsie Hupp (11th grade) from Wirt County to Calhoun County
10. Hope Kirby (1st grade), Matthew Kirby (3rd grade) and Timothy Kirby (3rd grade) from Calhoun County to Ritchie
11. Ashley McCracken (kindergarten) and Kathlyn McCracken (2nd grade) from Calhoun County to Clay County
12. Jessica Moles (9th grade) from Braxton County to Calhoun County
13. Kayla Morris (9th grade) and Rusty Morris (7th grade) from Calhoun County to Clay County
14. Brittiany Primm (10th grade) from Roane County to Calhoun County
15. Ashley Tanner (2nd grade) and Tyler Tanner (kindergarten) from Calhoun County to Clay County
16. Andrew Woodring (10th grade) and Matthew Woodring (12th grade) from Calhoun County to Roane County
B. Contract Approval - PHS renovation - Kyle Construction Company
C. Pleasant Hill School Handbook 2002-2003
D. Athletic Trainer Contract - MHHCC
E. Textbook Waiver
F. Volunteer Agreements
1. Evan Cunningham - Calhoun Middle/High
2. Michael Fitzwater - Calhoun Middle/High
G. Lights On Proposals - Swimming; Reed Basket Making and Karate
Motion carried unanimously.
Upon the Superintendent's recommendation, Mr. Cunningham moved and Mrs. Frederick seconded that the following
matters be approved:
1. Donzel Boothe
2. Sheri Graham
B. Abolish Position of Maintenance/Carpenter
C. Job Postings
1. First Grade Pleasant Hill - 2002/2003
2. Principal - Arnoldsburg School
3. Multi-Classified Maintenance
4. Rhonda Deweese - Custodian - Arnoldsburg Summer Program (Lights On)
5. Randy Ball - Custodian - Career Center (Lights On-Evenings As Needed)
6. Dennis McCumbers - Custodian - Career Center (Lights On-Evenings As Needed)
7. Casey Harris - Dance Coach
8. Patricia Haught - Majorette Coach
9. John Queen - Third Grade - Pleasant Hill 2002/2003
10. Sandy Weaver - Varsity Cheerleading Coach 2002/2003
11. Randy Poling - Mentor - Calhoun Middle/High School Summer Program (Full Day)
12. Bob Bonar - Teacher Intern
13. Gina Yancey - First Grade Teacher - Pleasant Hill 2002/2003
Motion carried unanimously.
Mr. Cunningham moved and Mr. Simers seconded that the following financial matters be approved:
Invoices - $559,817.64
Supplements - $143,801.35
Transfers - $10,948.75
Financial Statement - May 2002
Motion carried with Mr. Harris abstaining.
Dead-head bus miles.
Extra-curricular activity trips and adults.
WVSBA Executive Board Meeting.
Mr. Simers moved and Mr. Cunningham seconded that the meeting adjourn at 9:16 p.m. with the next meeting August 5,
2002 at 7:00 p.m. at the Board of Education Office. Motion carried unanimously.