CRP is a voluntary program that helps agricultural producers use environmentally sensitive land for conservation benefits.

Producers enrolled in CRP plant long-term, resource conserving covers to control soil erosion, improve water and air quality and develop wildlife habitat.

In return, FSA provides participants with rental payments and cost-share assistance. Contract duration is between 10 to 15 years. Accepted contracts for CRP sign-up 43 will begin on Oct.1, 2012.

To be eligible for CRP enrollment, a producer must have owned or operated the land for at least 12 months prior to the end of the CRP sign-up period, unless:

The new owner acquired the land due to the previous owner's death;

The ownership change occurred due to foreclosure where the owner exercised a timely right of redemption in accordance with state law or;

The circumstance of the acquisition present adequate assurance to FSA that the new owner did not acquire the land for the purpose of placing it in CRP.

To be eligible for placement in the CRP general sign-up, land must be cropland (including field margins) that is planted, or considered planted, to an agricultural commodity four of the six crop years from 2002 to 2007, and be physically and legally capable of being planted (no planting restrictions due to an easement or other legally binding instrument) in a normal manner to an agricultural commodity. Alfalfa or other multiyear grasses and legumes grown in a rotation not to exceed 12 years may be eligible for CRP sign-up 43.

In addition to the eligible land requirements, for general signup, cropland must meet one of the following criteria:

Have a weighted average erosion index of eight or higher;

Be expiring CRP acreage or;

Be located in a national or state CRP conservation priority area.

FSA provides CRP sign-up 43 participants with annual rental payments, including certain incentive payments and cost share assistance.

CRP Continuous Sign-up

In addition to CRP sign-up 43, producers at any time can participate in CRP continuous sign-up, in which producers can enroll the most environmentally sensitive land.

If you have marginal pastureland (land immediately adjacent and parallel to either a perennial stream, seasonal stream, or permanent water body) that is suitable for use as a riparian buffer or for similar water quality purposes; or cropland that was planted to an agriculture commodity four of the previous six crop years from 20022007 you may be interested in the CRP/CREP program.

FSA will pay ten to fifteen year annual rental payments to eligible producers in exchange for establishing long-term, resource-conserving covers to improve the quality of water and air, control soil erosion and enhance wildlife habitat on qualifying land.

FSA will also pay up to 50% of the cost to install approved conservation practices such as fencing, stream crossing, tree planting, and the installation of livestock watering facilities.

Additional incentive payments are also available on selected practices.

For information on FSA programs or other policies and procedures contact the Gilmer-Calhoun FSA Office at (304) 462-7171 extension 2 or visit the office located in the Glenville Post Office Building, Room 122. Special accommodations will be made, upon request, for persons with disabilities, vision or hearing impairments. Please call if accommodations are required.

Hur Herald ©from Sunny Cal
The information on these pages, to the extent the law allows, remains the exclusive property of Bob Weaver and The Hur Herald. information cannot be not be used in any type of commercial endeavor, or used on a web site without the express permission of the owner. Hur Herald published printed editions 1996-1999, Online ©Hur Herald Publishing, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019