(02/15/2002)

Fire quickly controlled at Spencer nursing home

By Bob Weaver

"Our firemen did an excellent job, very quickly," said Spencer-Roane Fire Chief Rob Miller, after the department responded to a blaze at Miletree Health Care Center in Spencer about 4:20 p.m.

SRVFD Chief Rob Miller praises his firemen

A dryer in the nursing home's laundry room caught fire, said Chief Miller, with smoke erupting from the building when firemen arrived. Virtually all the Spencer-Roane VFD apparatus was dispatched to the scene.

Fire started in clothes dryer in laundry

Damage limited to two room area, smoke was extracted

Firemen brought the fire under control quickly, but the blaze had potential to become serious. Damage appeared to be limited to two rooms, including the laundry area. Firemen used high-speed fans to prevent smoke from entering other parts of the building.

The facility's administrator Shanna Hall, declined to comment on the management of the nursing home residents or disclose the number of people affected, but a firemen said they were "moved to the far end of the building."

Nursing home residents taken to far end of facility

Firemen remained on the scene for nearly two hours

Clean-up after fire


Hur Herald from Sunny Cal
The information on these pages, to the extent the law allows, remains the exclusive property of Bob and Dianne Weaver and The Hur Herald. information cannot be used in any type of commercial endeavor, or used on a web site without the express permission of the owner. Hur Herald published printed editions 1996-1999, Online Hur Herald Publishing, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021