(12/26/2008)
Carbon monoxide poisoning has killed a 64-year-old person in the Town of Clay this morning.

Clay County Sheriff Randy Holcomb said the victim was a man.

Four or five other victims, including children, have been taken to to the hospital.

Some the victims flown by HealthNet to CAMC.

Emergency services responded to a one-and-one half story house on Carr Street about 9 a.m.

Calhoun EMS was summoned for a back-up ambulance, but did not transport any of the victims.

Reports say there were several animals in the house.

"It appears to be carbon monoxide poisoning from a gas furnace," said Holcomb.

"The hot water tank was electric, the cook stove was electric, there was only one appliance that was gas and it was an older model gas floor furnace."

The surviving victims were three adults and two children, ages 10 months and three years old. All being treated at the Charleston Area Medical Center. "Celebrated Christmas yesterday (Thursday), there was food and stuff in the residence, probably stayed in all day yesterday due to the weather and laid down and went to sleep. That's something that just sneaks up on you," Holcomb said.

Holcomb said the residence was clean and well kept.


Hur Herald ©from Sunny Cal
The information on these pages, to the extent the law allows, remains the exclusive property of Bob Weaver and The Hur Herald. information cannot be not be used in any type of commercial endeavor, or used on a web site without the express permission of the owner. Hur Herald published printed editions 1996-1999, Online ©Hur Herald Publishing, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019