Morgantown, W.Va. - Robert Ferrebee, State Executive Director for USDA's Farm Service Agency in West Virginia, has announced that starting October 1, USDA will begin issuing $348,356 in Conservation Reserve Program (CRP) payments to eligible producers in West Virginia. More than $1.7 billion in CRP payments are being made on 34.7 million acres across the country.

"The Conservation Reserve Program works cooperatively with America's farmers and ranchers to conserve and preserve the soil and water that we, and numerous wildlife species, depend on for survival," said Ferrebee. "These payments represent an investment in the nation's land that will pay dividends in the form of a cleaner environment today and for our grandchildren."

The payments announced are annual rental payments earned on the 4,928 acres enrolled in fiscal year 2008 in the CRP, including the Conservation Reserve Enhancement Program and Continuous Sign-Up Program. Producer's holding 366 contracts on 296 farms will receive an average of $1,177 per farm or $70.69 per acre. The number of contracts is higher than the number of farms because producers may have multiple contracts on a single farm.

Other CRP payments are made throughout the year, including a 50-percent reimbursement of expenses for establishing cover and incentive payments for enrolling eligible conservation practices, such as wetland restorations and conservation buffers.

This voluntary program helps agricultural producers safeguard environmentally sensitive land. Producers enroll in CRP and plant long-term, resource-conserving covers to improve water quality, control soil erosion and enhance habitats for waterfowl and wildlife. In return, USDA provides producers with rental payments. CRP contract duration is from 10 to 15 years.

Land to be enrolled must be either highly erodible, contribute to a serious water quality problem, provide important wildlife habitat or provide substantial environmental benefits if devoted to certain specific conservation uses.

For more information on CRP, producers should contact their local Farm Service Agency (FSA) office or visit FSA's Web site at   www.fsa.usda.gov

Hur Herald ©from Sunny Cal
The information on these pages, to the extent the law allows, remains the exclusive property of Bob Weaver and The Hur Herald. information cannot be not be used in any type of commercial endeavor, or used on a web site without the express permission of the owner. Hur Herald published printed editions 1996-1999, Online ©Hur Herald Publishing, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019