Producers in Gilmer and Calhoun County are now eligible to apply for Disaster Assistance for drought conditions which occurred during 2007.

The Livestock Compensation Program (LCP) provides monetary assistance to livestock producers for feed losses due to the drought. LCP payments will be based on the lesser of either the value of the grazing feed loss or the value calculated based on the number of eligible livestock. Eligible livestock are those that were maintained for commercial use as part of a farming operation.

Livestock produced or maintained for reasons other than commercial use are not eligible. Basically, an eligible producer is one that had legal ownership of eligible livestock on May 15, 2007. The producer most have suffered an eligible feed loss and be a US citizen or legal resident alien. The producer must certify their grazing loss but the certified loss cannot exceed the maximum grazing loss established for the county in which the livestock were located.

In addition to LCP, the Crop Disaster Program (CDP) provides benefits to farmers who suffered quantity and quality losses from natural disasters. Only producers who obtained crop insurance coverage or coverage under the Noninsured Crop Disaster Assistance Program (NAP) for the year of loss will be eligible for CDP benefits.

You may contact the Gilmer-Calhoun County FSA Office to apply for Disaster Assistance. Due to a current staffing shortage in the Office, it would be beneficial to call the office to schedule an appointment. The phone number is 304-462-7171, Ext. 2. The office is located in the Post Office Building in Glenville, 201 E. Main St., Rm. 122.

The United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) prohibits discrimination in all its programs and activities on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability, and where applicable, sex, marital status, familial status, parental status, religion, sexual orientation, genetic information, political beliefs, reprisal, or because all or part of an individual's income is derived from any public assistance program. (Not all prohibited bases apply to all programs). Persons with disabilities who require alternative means for communication of program information (Braille, large print, audiotape, etc.) should contact USDA's TARGET Center at 202-720-2600 (voice and TDD). To file a complaint of discrimination, write USDA, Director, Office of Civil Rights, 1400 Independence Avenue, SW, Washington, DC 20250-9410 or call 800 795-3272 (voice) or (202) 720-6382 (TDD). USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer.

Hur Herald ©from Sunny Cal
The information on these pages, to the extent the law allows, remains the exclusive property of Bob Weaver and The Hur Herald. information cannot be not be used in any type of commercial endeavor, or used on a web site without the express permission of the owner. Hur Herald published printed editions 1996-1999, Online ©Hur Herald Publishing, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019