(10/11/2001)

Black billows of smoke erupt from Pine Creek residence

Vehicles close to mobile home create risk

Fire completely destroyed a Pine Creek residence about noon yesterday. Huge billows of smoke erupted from the mobile home and add-on rooms, as the Grantsville Volunteer Fire Department arrived. The structure was occupied by Jerry and Mildred Vandale. They were not at home at the time.

Ammunition and other minor explosions could be heard as firemen approached the structure. Grantsville Fire Chief, Dave Johnson said there was a nearby gas line and a propane tank, neither of which caught fire or exploded.

About a half-dozen cars and trucks were nearby, creating a further risk. Firemen quickly knocked down the blaze, but it continued to flare and re-kindle during the early afternoon.

Vandales not at home when fire started

Firemen quickly bring blaze under control

Neighbors said the fire might have started from a wood burning stove. Another mobile home about 125 feet away was not damaged.

The structure was located in a narrow hollow off Pine Creek Road near the Donzel and Emma Wease residence.

The GVFD responded with four trucks, along with Calhoun EMS. Fireman Hays Haymaker was treated at Minnie Hamilton Health Care Center for problems related to smoke inhalation.

Smoke eaters

Smoke fills Pine Creek valley

Grantsville VFD on scene most of afternoon


Hur Herald ©from Sunny Cal
The information on these pages, to the extent the law allows, remains the exclusive property of Bob Weaver and The Hur Herald. information cannot be not be used in any type of commercial endeavor, or used on a web site without the express permission of the owner. Hur Herald published printed editions 1996-1999, Online ©Hur Herald Publishing, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019