|Outdoor burning restrictions are in effect with the start of West Virginia's spring forest fire season.|
The restricted period is from March 1 to May 31.
All outdoor burning is prohibited from 7 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Conrolled burns in Calhoun should be reported to Calhoun Control to prevent local fire departments from being dispatched in a non emergency, the number is 354-9271.
The snow-less winter will likely call for a nasty spring forest fire season, in addition to the earth not receiving adequate moisture for farming.
Some fire-related rules:
- Always have at least a ten-foot safety strip around the fire.
- Never burn on windy days.
- Always have something handy to suppress the fire.
- Start brush fires small and add remaining material slowly.
- Never leave a fire unattended.
- Only vegetative materials, including brush, leaves and tree limbs, may be burned.
Violations of some fire rules are considered a misdemeanor and could lead to a fine of up to $300.