(06/26/2001)
A ten-year-old girl has died after being caught in a fire in her Parkersburg home.

Police say Jennifer Salisbury was alone in the basement, sorting through a box of toys at about 3:15 Friday afternoon when vapors were ignited by a gas water heater.

The family, which was in the process of adopting Jennifer, had just moved into the house four days earlier.

Jennifer's foster father, 50-year-old John E. Longfellow, was burned while trying to get to her. His condition is unavailable.

Jennifer was later removed through a window by a neighbor. She was taken to West Penn Burn Center in Pittsburgh, where she died Saturday morning.

Jennifer would have turned eleven this Wednesday. Longfellow's wife, Charlotte, and a 12-year-old girl whose name hasn't been released were not injured in the blaze.

The fire is still under investigation, but is believed to be accidental. Jennifer was a student at Spencer Middle School this past year. Funeral arrangements are pending at Taylor-Vandale Funeral Home in Spencer.


Hur Herald ©from Sunny Cal
The information on these pages, to the extent the law allows, remains the exclusive property of Bob Weaver and The Hur Herald. information cannot be not be used in any type of commercial endeavor, or used on a web site without the express permission of the owner. Hur Herald published printed editions 1996-1999, Online ©Hur Herald Publishing, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019