George Ward is resigning from his position as Director of Curriculum, reportedly to take a
position in private business. Ward was instrumental in obtaining the "21st Century - Lights
On" grant which is being launched this summer in Calhoun.|
A well-known teacher, Sue Ann Nichols Charles, has resigned as 12th grade English
The board approved 26 student transfers, twenty of them transferring out of the local
school system. (SEE list)
CALHOUN COUNTY BOARD OF EDUCATION
STATE OF WEST VIRGINIA:
COUNTY OF CALHOUN: At the Office of the Superintendent of Schools; Grantsville, West Virginia; Monday, May 7, 2001
Juanita Berdine, Ralph Cunningham, Richard Fitzwater, Carlene Frederick and Burl Simers
Ronald Blankenship, Secretary
The meeting was called to order by President, Richard Fitzwater at 7:00 p.m.
Mr. Cunningham moved and Mrs. Frederick seconded that the minutes of the April 17, 2001 meeting be approved. Motion carried unanimously.
Ora Rush addressed the Board regarding questions she had concerning the grievance process.
The Board entered into a closed Level III Citizens Grievance.
Mr. Cunningham moved and Mr. Simers seconded that the Level II grievance decision be upheld. Motion carried unanimously.
Mr. Cunningham reported on the April 24, 2001 Calhoun-Gilmer Career Center meeting.
Donnie Pitts gave an Athletic Complex update.
Tony Russell reported on the Lights On Project.
Mr. Cunningham moved and Mrs. Berdine seconded that the following new business be approved as presented:
A. School Calendar 2001-2002
B. Textbook Adoption
C. Student Transfers 2001-2002
1. Jerod Alltop - Grade 12 - From Calhoun County to Wirt County
2. Ashley Arthur - Grade 2 - From Calhoun County to Wirt County
3. Kala Cox - Grade 12 - From Calhoun County to Roane County
4. Regina Davisson - Grade 11 - From Wood County to Calhoun County
5. Joshua Duffield - Grade 7 - From Calhoun County to Clay County
6. Shondra Duffield - Grade 4 - From Calhoun County to Clay County
7. Monica Duffield - Grade PreK - From Calhoun County to Clay County
8. Shanti Don Hamburg - Grade 12 - From Calhoun County to Braxton County
9. Jeremiah Hamburg - Grade 7 - From Calhoun County to Braxton County
10. Ashley Hicks - Grade K - From Calhoun County to Roane County
11. Kayla Hicks - Grade 3 - From Calhoun County to Roane County
12. Michael Hicks - Grade 2 - From Calhoun County to Roane County
13. Chelsie Hupp - Grade 10 - From Wirt County to Calhoun County
14. Darris Hupp - Grade 12 - From Wirt County to Calhoun County
15. Jessica Moles - Grade 7 - From Braxton County to Calhoun County
16. Kayla Morris - Grade 7 - From Calhoun County to Clay County
17. Rusty Morris - Grade 5 - From Calhoun County to Clay County
18. Brandon Neal - Grade K - From Calhoun County to Clay County
19. Tosha Neal - Grade 2 - From Calhoun County to Clay County
20. Jessica Patterson - Grade 10 - From Calhoun County to Clay County
21. Robert Patterson - Grade 7 - From Calhoun County to Clay County
22. Andrew Woodring - Grade 9 - From Calhoun County to Roane County
23. Matthew Woodring - Grade 11 - From Calhoun County to Roane County
24. Toni Woodring - Grade 12 - From Calhoun County to Roane County
25. Jared Fitzwater - Grade K - From Gilmer County to Calhoun County
26. Stewart Fitzwater - Grade 3 - From Gilmer County to Calhoun County
D. Out of State Transportation Requests
1. Columbus Zoo - May 18, 2001
2. Kennywood Amusement Park - May 21, 2001
3. COSI - Columbus, Ohio - May 11, 2001
4. Six Flags of Ohio - Aurora, Ohio - June 6, 2001
E. Heads Up Program Coordinator - Children's Home Society of West Virginia
F. Contract - Minnie Hamilton Health Care Center 2001-2002
G. Contract - Minnie Hamilton Health Care Center for Athletic Trainer 2001-
Upon the Superintendent's recommendation, Mr. Cunningham moved and Mrs. Berdine seconded that the following personnel matters be approved:
A. Job Postings
1. Head Girls Varsity Basketball Coach
2. Assistant Girls Varsity Basketball Coach
3. Middle School Boys Basketball Coach
4. Middle School Girls Basketball Coach
5. Middle School Wrestling Coach
6. Special Education Teacher Calhoun Middle/High School
7. Accountant II - Lights On Project
8. Site Coordinator - Lights On Project - Calhoun High School
9. Site Coordinators - Lights On Project - Arnoldsburg, Pleasant Hill and Calhoun Middle School
10. Third Grade Classroom Teacher - Arnoldsburg School
11. Second Grade Classroom Teacher - Pleasant Hill
1. Jan Whited - Substitute Teacher
2. Heilman Stewart - Head Varsity Football Coach
3. Jeffrey Burns - Assistant Varsity Football Coach
4. Doyle Hupp - Assistant Varsity Football Coach
5. Richard Welch - Head Middle School Football Coach
6. Brian Gainer - Soccer Coach
7. Donald Price - Cross Country Coach
8. Tim Davis - Head Volleyball Coach
9. Deborah Hartshorn - Assistant Volleyball Coach
10. Bryan Sterns - Strength/Conditioning Coach
11. Gary Knight - Yearbook Advisor
12. Margaret Bennett - Honors/Academic Coach
13. Beverly Morford - Co-Student Council Advisor
14. Anita Parsons - Co-Student Council Advisor
1. George Ward - Effective June 15, 2001
2. Sue Ann Nichols Charles - Effective August 16, 2001
Motion carried unanimously.
Mrs. Frederick moved and Mr. Simers seconded that the following finance matters be approved:
A. Invoices - $253,796.78
B. Supplements - $701,526.00
C. Transfers - $5,845.38
Motion carried unanimously.
BOARD CONCERNS: Bus parking in Ritchie County and job shadowing.
Mr. Cunningham moved and Mrs. Berdine seconded that the meeting adjourn at 10:34 p.m. with the next meeting June 4, 2001 at 7:00 p.m. at Board of Education Office. Motion carried unanimously.