First Baptist Church of Grantsville Dedicated in 1894

(03/30/2001)

Transcribed by Norma Knotts Shaffer from microfilm of the Calhoun Chronicle dated 8/7/1894.

Church Dedication

On the fifth Sunday in July the Baptist Church in Grantsville was formerly dedicated.

A debt of over three hundred dollars was raised in a few minutes when the building committee turned over the building to Bethlehem Church.

As had been arranged Rev. L.J. Huffman preached the dedicatory sermon.  In his usual plain, calm, deliberative style he presented his subject and its acceptance was best attested by the quiet that prevailed during its delivery by the congregation who had sat almost four hours when it ended.

After the sermon Rev. Jno. Stump offered the dedicatory prayer and the benediction was pronounced by Rev. D. Huffman.

A reunion of the descendents of the charter members of the Bethlehem Baptist Church was held after the closing of the dedicatory services.  All of the surviving children of Alex Huffman were present and a few of the descendents of Joseph Bennett, none of the descendents of Robt. Bennett reported.  After addresses by several of the members recalling reminiscenses of the early days of the Church the farewell was taken, which no doubt, to many present will be the last until they shall be gathered in the last reward.


Hur Herald ®from Sunny Cal
The information on these pages, to the extent the law allows, remains the exclusive property of Bob Weaver and The Hur Herald. information cannot be not be used in any type of commercial endeavor, or used on a web site without the express permission of the owner. ©Hur Herald Publishing, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017