|Transcribed by Norma Knotts Shaffer from
microfilm of the Calhoun Chronicle dated 3/26/1942.
New Court House Corner Stone Laid in 1942
The corner stone of the new Calhoun county court house was laid
28 by the West Virginia M.W. Grand Lodge, Ancient, Free and Accepted
in response to an invitation extended by the county court through Oral
C. Hathaway, worshipful master of the local lodge.
J. Bernard Dodrill, grand master, and a number of other grand
assisted by acting grand officers from the local lodge participated in
The stone, a beautiful block of Indiana limestone, was laid in the
corner of the building, facing Main and Court streets. The Main
face bears the insigna of the lodge and the date of the
On the Court street side is engraved the names of those most
in the project, as follows:
County Court - W.C. Farrar, President, Foster Poling and Fred
Commissioners; Clerk, R.P. Mollohan; Prosecuting Attorney, Lorentz C.
Governor M.M. Neely.
Below the name of Governor Neely is the name of Franklin D.
President of the United States. Then follows the names of Philip
R. Lewis, Builder, and T.A. Sansburry, Architect.
Circuit Court - Lewis H. Miller, Judge; P.P. Gunn, Clerk; Ivan H.
Tax Department - Lloyd Wright, Assessor.
In a copper casket, hermetically sealed shortly before the
were deposited the following items:
Copies of the Calhoun Chronicle relative to the new building by
New Testament by John Hamilton and Fred Robinson.
Copy of American Legion, a magazine, by John Hamilton.
History of Calhoun County, by Harold Proudfoot, County
Book of Original Poems, by Miss Nettie Stump.
Brief Family History, by R.P. Mollohan.
List of Officers and Members of Eureka Lodge No. 40, A.F.&
by J.A. Francis.
Year Book of Grantsville Woman's Club.
Short History of Grantsville by Louis Reed.
History of Bethlehem Baptist Church by Mrs. Nelle White and Rev.
Family Records, by L.L. Ball.
History of Wild Life in Calhoun County by W.O. Umstead.
Letter to Future Sheriffs of Calhoun County by Ivan H. Umstead.
Jacob Bennett's hunting license for 1909 and a 1912 nickel, by
Pocket-piece of the late Dr. Ray C. Morford, by Mrs. Ray C.
Original Cartoons Drawn by Charles Albert Stump, by Mrs. Albert
History of the County Seat by Lorentz C. Hamilton, Prosecuting
History of Calhoun County Bank by R.M. Marshall, by Mrs. Bernard
Photographs of Workmen on New Court House, Members of the County
and P.R. Lewis, Superintendent, by P.R. Lewis.
Copy of the Grantsville News, February 26, 1942, by H.F. Leggett,
Calhoun County Bank calendar for 1942, by Mrs. Allie Hardman.