Grantsville To Get New Phone System in 1901

(02/25/2001)

Transcribed by Norma Knotts Shaffer from microfilm of the Calhoun Chronicle dated 3/12/1901.

At a meeting of the town council last Friday evening, a franchise for a telephone exchange was granted to F.P. Lowther of New Martinsville. This company, we are informed, is a part of the West Virginia and Weston, and will at once put in an exchange here and build a line from here to Cairo, connecting there with the other lines of the same Company. This means much to the citizens of Grantsville, for the sooner the Bell Telephone Company is driven out of this field, the better off are the people. Its method of doing business is anything else but satisfactory, and while it has no competition here, it has everything its own way, and doesn't neglect its opportunities. Its net earnings for the office here for the last month was something like fifty dollars, and is constantly getting better.

The line from here to Glenville will connect with this system, we are informed, and if the Company will extend its lines on to the West Fork country, it will be all we could desire.


Hur Herald ®from Sunny Cal
The information on these pages, to the extent the law allows, remains the exclusive property of Bob Weaver and The Hur Herald. information cannot be not be used in any type of commercial endeavor, or used on a web site without the express permission of the owner. ©Hur Herald Publishing, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017