Transcribed by Norma Knotts Shaffer from microfilm of the Calhoun
Chronicle dated 3/26/1942.
At a meeting of the newly organized volunteer fire department of
Monday night an up-to-date fire-fighting truck was purchased. It
is an American-LaFrance outfit and was used until recently by the city
of Marion, Ohio. The machine will be delivered April 10.
It is equipped with a 400 gallon per minute pump and a 200 gallon
tank. Fulmite and soda acid and tetra-chloride chemical
also come with the outfit together with ample ladder and hose
Mayor A.G. Burns, Recorder Ralph Morris, Rue Schoolcraft and Mont
went to Marion Sunday to inspect the truck, and Monnight a salesman of
the company appeared before a meeting of the volunteers, and the deal
closed in a short time. By the way, there are thirty --two
in the company and every shining one of them were present.
The organization of the fire company is as follows: Z.N. Connolly,
Rue Schoolcraft, secretary-treasurer; George Lambiotte, chief; Mont
assistant chief; Charles Roberts and Rymer Law, captains. The
is limited to fifty, and no deadheads should apply. What they
is workers who will spend time drilling and learning the fundamentals
The volunteer fire department is in no way connected with the town
the county civilian defense council or any other like
It was started by a number of younger men of the town following the
school fire, and they are going to get results if they are given a
cooperation by the property owners and citizens of Grantsville.
The cost of the truck and other expenses of the organization will
paid by voluntary subscriptions from the residents and property owners
of Grantsville. No New Deal funds will be used. Granny
can support this movement without fear of being contaminated by New
The local Rotary club started the ball rolling with a contribution
$100.00. A popular appeal for funds will be made within the next
few days and it should meet with a cheerful and generous response.