|1. The top positive story of 2012 is an accumulation of dozens and dozens of stories about Calhoun people who have come to the aid of their neighbors during tough times, through volunteerism, fundraisers or special efforts. |
It is neighbor helping neighbor that makes life special in this rural community, including the outreach extended by community organizations.
2. Calhoun Schools struggle to rise in academic achievement while all three schools fail to make Average Yearly Progress in 2012, while Calhoun Middle-High School was rated worst performing of 55 counties in 2011.
ALL CALHOUN SCHOOLS FAIL TO MEET NCLB STANDARDS - Math Scores Show Improvement
3. A rare, powerful Derecho wind storm struck the county with winds gusting 70 plus miles per hour, leaving nearly all county residents without electric and phone, many without water.
DERECHO STORM DOWNS TREES, CRUSHES STRUCTURES AND PLAYS HAVOC WITH ELECTRIC/PHONE SERVICE
THE RARE, DESTRUCTIVE DERECHO STORM OF 2012 - 'Fighters And Survivors'
4. After years of flooding, groundbreaking happened in Nov. for a new $8.8 million Arnoldsburg school, supported by county taxpayers.
GROUNDBREAKING 'ABOUT THE CHILDREN' - Project Costs Hit $8.8 Million, MHHS Boosts Project With $100,000 Health Facility
5. Following years of efforts, public water flowed to the Upper West Fork and Sand Ridge, Russett areas of the county with the completion of a $5.2 million project.
$5.2 MIL WATER EXTENSION NEARS COMPLETION - Sign-Up Day For New Customers
6. Murder case against Thomas Husk dropped because of legal presentment problems.
JUDGE NIBERT DISMISSES MURDER CASE AGAINST HUSK - Problems Linked To Grand Jury Presentment
7. A murder case against Ordie Rogers, Jr. is being dismissed because of legal presentment problems. The execution of the order of the actual dismissal has been stayed until January 17, 2013 until after the Grand Jury meets, which indicates charges could be refiled.
Rogers and Ashley Kreh were charged in the death of their 2-month-old daughter in February, and later, the Kreh/Rogers house burned, likely the object of an arsonist.
CASE BEING DISMISSED AGAINST ORDIE ROGERS, JR. IN CHILD'S DEATH - New Indictment Could Be Made, Ashley Kreh Will Be Sentenced Following Plea Deal
8. A lightning strike caused the county's biggest roaring fire at Big Springs.
LIGHTNING STRIKE CAUSES ROARING FIRE NEAR BIG SPRINGS
9. A murder case against William "Seth" Denmark, accused of shooting David Beach, has been muddled with problems, with a trial scheduled in 2013.
DENMARK PLEA DEAL OFF THE TABLE - Judge Does Not Accept Deal, Denmark Outburst: "I Did Not Kill My Friend"
10. At least five construction projects for public improvements are underway or completed in 2012.
GRANTSVILLE'S LATEST $1,400,000 WATER PROJECT NEARING COMPLETION
11. The Calhoun Commission continues to deal with problems related to the Calhoun EMS ambulance service, while EMS personnel deny problems or accountability to county taxpayers.
COMMISSIONER HELMICK RESIGNS FROM AMBULANCE BOARD - Questions Ambulance Service's Business Operations, Groves Also Resigns Board
12. Real broadband promised to rural West Virginia, empty results.
WEST VIRGINIA STILL LAST IN USA WITHOUT BROADBAND
HERE WE GO AGAIN - Feds Say Broadband Coming To Rural West Virginia
FLASHBACK 2011: CALHOUN HAS WORST WV 'BROADBAND' SPEED - Frontier Hedges On Broadband Plans For Regional Counties