|Transcribed by Norma Knotts Shaffer from microfilm of the Calhoun
Chronicle dated 2/26/1970.|
2/26/1970 - The home of Mr. and Mrs. James P. Taylor of Minnora was
destroyed by fire Saturday morning. All contents, except for a few
chairs, also went up in the blaze which destroyed one of the oldest
and largest homes in the area. The house was known as the George
Hamilton property at Minnora, a two story frame building of many
Firemen from Grantsville, Clay, Spencer and Glenville answered the
call for help and they were able to save the Minnora Methodist church
next door. Also in line, should the fire not been confined were the
P.E. Knotts home and store, and other dwellings.
Grantsville firemen went back in the evening when smoldering timbers
blazed up again and the church was threatened a second time.
The fire was found in an upstairs bedroom, possible caused by faulty
electrical wiring. Mary Taylor, age 10, found the fire. The oldest
in the family, Linda, 16, attempted to put out the blaze before it
spread but she was herself burned on one hand, and her hair singed.
She got the younger Taylor children out of the house without injury.
One daughter, Pam, 15, was in Charleston, as were her parents.
All furnishings in the Taylor home, clothing, books, were lost, their
total value with that of the house estimated at $20,000. There are
seven children in the Taylor family, Linda, 16; Pam, 15; Ruth, 13;
Mary, 10; Jimmy, 8; Timmy, 4; and Janie, 2. Mr. and Mrs. Taylor and
family have found temporary quarters at the Robert E. Burns property
of Hog Knob, but they plan to move back to Minnora when housing there
is available, and to rebuild on the same lot.
Since buying the Hamilton home at Minnora several years ago Mr. and
Mrs. Taylor had done extensive remodeling both inside and out.
The Community Action Association is helping to get some things
together for the Taylor family, as they need everything to set up
housekeeping again. They need furniture, linens, cooking utensils,
Here are their clothing sizes: Mrs. Taylor, size 16; Mr. Taylor, shirt
size 15-1/2 and pants 34-29; Linda, dress size 14, blouse 36 and
boots, 8; Pam, size 10 dress, blouse 32, boots 8; Ruth, size 8 dress,
blouse 32, boots, 9; Mary, size 10 dress; Jimmy, size 10 shirt and
size 8 pants slim, and boots size 2; Timmy, size 4 shirts and pants in
children's sizes, boots7; Janie dress size 3 in children's and boots
7. Anything for this family can be given through Community Action,
and left at their CAA office in the basement of the courthouse.
The Taylor family expressed their appreciation to all who came to help