Former Resident Remembers Grantsville in 1931

(12/23/2001)

Transcribed by Norma Knotts Shaffer from microfilm of the Calhoun Chronicle dated 2/5/1931.

Who Remembers?
(A Series of Recollections by a former Grantsville Boy Who Keeps in Touch With His Home Town)

When the old brick yard was in operation at the mouth of Leafbank?  Columbus Shaffer, of near Mt. Zion, was one of the owners.  He was later burned to death in a gas explosion at Cabot's carbon factory.

When the river bank below town was lined with staves which were sawed on the waters of Trace Fork, in the edge of Gilmer?  A tram-road was built from this place to the stave mill and the Richard Brothers of Big Springs had the contract of moving the staves to his place, where they were loaded into large Ohio river barges and boated down the river.

The old fair grounds below town?  Asa Swyger lives near the center of the plot now.  It has been a number of years since the fair ceased to function at this place.  For a time a county fair was held at Arnoldsburg.

When a few of the more progressive folks of the town would put up ice in the winter for summer use?  It was usually cut from the river just above the bridge.  Teams would haul ice on sleds to the store-houses, and we remember being one that would help to load the sleds at the river.  The same place where this ice was sawed was often used for skating parties.  The ice was said to have been two feet thick.

The old ferry boat that was operated here for years?  This franchise was owned by Jerome Hardman for a number of years.  Anthony Halenbake was a faithful ferryman for years.

When the gas well was drilled near the mouth of Leafbank?  The well produced a small amount of gas for a time but never amounted to much.

When a team of young mules, the property of J.P. Scott, was drowned by being dragged from the ferry boat?  The team was drawing a load of casing and this held them to the bottom of the river.  About fifty men were soon on the scene and someone tied a cable to the wagon tongue and passed it to the bank, whereupon all present grabbed hold and pulled the team and their load ashore.  This was an exciting time, especially for us "kids."

When Charles Blackshire put into operation the first bakery in town.  The bakery was located on Main alley, on the rear of J.B. Huffman's property.


Hur Herald ®from Sunny Cal
The information on these pages, to the extent the law allows, remains the exclusive property of Bob Weaver and The Hur Herald. information cannot be not be used in any type of commercial endeavor, or used on a web site without the express permission of the owner. ©Hur Herald Publishing, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017