Man Perishes in Home Fire in 1921

(11/24/2001)

Transcribed by Norma Knotts Shaffer from microfilm of the Calhoun Chronicle dated 3/10/1921.

Man Consumed in Flames

Oliver Norman, aged 57, was burned to death in flames which consumed his home on Daniels Run Thursday about noon.  Mr. Norman lived with his mother, Mrs. Asenath Norman, who was absent from home at the time of the catastrophe. It is not known how the fire originated, but some of the neighbors saw the unfortunate man carrying in wood a short time before the accident happened and it is presumed that he built up a large fire in the living room and then went into the kitchen to prepare his noon meal.  It is thought that the fire in the living room popped out and started the conflagration and that it had gotten under great headway before the attention of Mr. Norman was attracted to it.  It is presumed that he rushed into the living room to save some money and valuables which were kept in the sewing machine drawer.  His body was found in the living room near the machine, which lends grounds for the above beliefs.  The accident was one of the most shocking that has happened in that neighborhood for some time and cast a pall of gloom over the community.

The unfortunate man was burned in the most shocking manner when help arrived and was beyond all mortal aid.  His remains were gathered up and interred in the Mt. Zion cemetery the next day.  The sympathy of the entire community goes out to the heartbroken mother who is left alone and destitute, she being an aged lady of nearly eighty years.


Hur Herald ®from Sunny Cal
The information on these pages, to the extent the law allows, remains the exclusive property of Bob Weaver and The Hur Herald. information cannot be not be used in any type of commercial endeavor, or used on a web site without the express permission of the owner. ©Hur Herald Publishing, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017