High School Cornerstone Laid in 1921

(10/11/2001)

Transcribed by Norma Knotts Shaffer from microfilm of the Calhoun Chronicle dated 7/7/1921.

Big Crowd Attends Fourth Celebration

One of the largest crowds ever gathered in Grantsville was here Monday for the big Fourth of July celebration, and it was one of the most orderly and smoothly conducted affairs ever held in the town.  The crowd is variously estimated at from 3,500 to 5,000.  Suffice it to say that it was about as big a crowd of visitors as the town could comfortably accommodate.  The hotels and restaurants were crowded to the limit at the noon hour, while the various soft drink places and confectionaries were thronged at all hours with human swarms endeavoring to quench their thirst.

The speaking program on the lawn in front of the Court House, was opened by devotional exercises by Rev. J. Smith Dye, of the local Baptist church.  Then Hon. Albert G. Mathews in his usual eloquent manner welcomed the large crowd that had assembled.  Mr. Mathews was at his best and his address, chock-full of patriotism, was listened to with earnest attention.

Following Mr. Mathews' speech, the declaration of Independence was read by Bruce Ferrell in his inimitable manner.

The principal speaker of the day, Hon. Reese Blizzard, of Parkersburg, was then introduced or rather presented, for the Judge needs no introduction to the people of Calhoun and adjoining counties.  Judge Blizzard then spoke of the warm feeling that he will always have for the people of this county, and then went on in one of the best speeches ever delivered in the town.  Judge Blizzard has ever been popular with the people of Calhoun county, a fact that was evidenced by the huge crowd which came here Monday to greet him and by the rapt attention that was paid to his address.

In the afternoon the corner-stone of the high school building was laid by the West Virginia Grand Lodge of Masons.  The Grand Master, Adrian C. Nadenbousch, of Martinsburg, being unable to be present in person, issued his proxy to Silas P. Heckert, of Cairo, who convened the Grand Lodge with the following officers:

Deputy Grand Master, J.D. Jones, Glenville.
Senior Grand Warden, A.G. Miller.
Junior Grand Warden, Charles Barnett, Glenville.
Grand Treasurer, B.G. Stump.
Grand Secretary, R.L. Hamilton.
Grand Senior Deacon, J. Ernest Arbuckle, Glenville.
Grand Junior Deacon, Harvey A. Hall, Weston.
Grand Chaplain, J.Smith Dye.
Grand Orator, Lorentz C. Hamilton.
Grand Pursuivant, Fred Lewis, Glenville.
Principal Architect, Asa M. Maze.
Master of Oldest Lodge, Hagan T. Francis.
Grand Stewards, E.G. Rhorhbough, W. Bennett Hull, John T. Gainer and C. Foster Johnson.
Grand Marshall, John M. Hamilton.
Grand Tiler, Bud Johnson.

The Grand Lodge was formed in procession and moved to the site of the high school building where President Gay Stalnaker, of the High School Board, invited the Grand Master to lay the corner-stone.  The stone was then laid according to the ritualistic ceremony of the Mason.  During the ceremony a box containing relics and articles was deposited in a cavity prepared in the stone.  The articles placed in the box are as follows:

Photograph of John M. Hamilton, Past Grand Master of West Virginia Masons, 1890-1891 A.D., 5890-5891 A.D. by Lorentz C. Hamilton.

Copy of Grantsville News of July 1, 1921 by A.G. Stutler.

Copy of Calhoun Chronicle of June 30, 1921, by R.L. Hamilton.

Two Pennies by Howard Hamilton.

Two pictures of the old Ball homestead prior to this building by Mr. and Mrs. J.H. Smith.

Copy of original act of legislature creating his high school, by Bruce Ferrell.

Picture of old homestead, the place of my birth, by Miss Etta Johnson.

Picture of Judson Barr, in uniform, and one coin, by Judson Barr.

American Flag by Virginia and Frederick Hathaway and Mrs. Cordelia Barr.

Penny by McClellan Fleming.

Testament by Mr. and Mrs. S.F. Fleming.

Holy Bible by Forest Rogers.

Tencent piece by Edward Dulin.

Description of Holy Bible by Mr. and Mrs. C.A. Jarvis.


Hur Herald ®from Sunny Cal
The information on these pages, to the extent the law allows, remains the exclusive property of Bob Weaver and The Hur Herald. information cannot be not be used in any type of commercial endeavor, or used on a web site without the express permission of the owner. ©Hur Herald Publishing, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017