BURNING SPRINGS OIL WELL PARK - Historic Site Being Developed

(10/10/2001)

Construction is ongoing at the Burning Springs Park, site of the first oil well drilled for production, some say in the entire world. The roadside park and museum is located along Rt. 5 west of the village of Burning Springs along the Little Kanawha River.

A small museum with walkway is located near the actual well, which can still produce oil. It was originally drilled with a spring pole in 1859 and was completed in 1860 by the Rathbone family of Parkersburg. It reportedly produced 100 barrels a day.

During the Civil War, General Jones set fire to oil stored in tanks, barrels and boats, igniting 300,000 barrels.

Restoration project still progressing

Park is along Rt. 5 near Burning Springs


Hur Herald ®from Sunny Cal
The information on these pages, to the extent the law allows, remains the exclusive property of Bob Weaver and The Hur Herald. information cannot be not be used in any type of commercial endeavor, or used on a web site without the express permission of the owner. ©Hur Herald Publishing, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018