|Transcribed by Norma Knotts Shaffer from microfilm
of the Calhoun Chronicle dated 10/22/1936.
Town Improved by WPA
Hundreds of otherwise idle men from the relief rolls have been given
steady employment on permanent public improvements in Calhoun county by
This work in the (illegible) district is not confined to the construction
of roads and school improvements.
There are many instances where very beautiful architecture and lasting
work has been accomplished in such localities. One of the outstanding
pieces of construction of this type is an arrangement of native stone masonry
consisting of walls and approaches in the Town of Grantsville, West Virginia.
Native stone of an unusually good quality and an appealing tint is available
in this neighborhood, and this native material is used in the construction
of retaining walls and entrances along the main streets of the county seat
of Calhoun county. All of this work was done with relief labor, under
the supervision of WPA.
This work, part of the Grantsville street project, is attracting attention
and favorable comment by thousands of passing motorists. This job
has brought a most appreciative response from the tax payers and stands
as a monument to WPA in that vicinity.
The erection of these retaining walls, to prevent landslides caused
by erosion and limestone formations, has made possible the construction
of hard-surfaced streets and the general improvements of the sewer system
in Grantsville. Retaining walls were not only added for the beauty
of the construction job, but as a protection to the work accomplished.
The sewer improvement was necessary for the development of community
sanitation and the elimination of health hazards in that locality.
With all these improvements, together with the contemplated improvements
along the valley of the Little Kanawha River, Grantsville makes its initial
bow in welcoming tourists to visit and linger longer.