Photos courtesy of Joyce Williams|
The annual Bear Fork Hunting Club fall picnic was held this past weekend
with 150 attending. The club roasted over 300 pounds of pork and beef in a
hand dug pit. The club, whose origins go back 100 years, has a long history
associated with the wilderness area.
Long known for its wildlife, including rattlesnakes, the area has always been
a remote hunting ground.
Bear Fork is best known for an intensive timbering effort during the early
part of the 1900's by Interstate Cooperage, a division of Standard Oil.
Multi-millions of barrel staves were taken from the 20,000 acre track by the
Elk and Little Kanawha River Railroad. The railroad extended eight miles into
Calhoun County, with the tract covering parts of Gilmer and Braxton
Dozens of stories and tales have been told about the deep and dark woods,
inhabited by several hardy individuals starting in the 1800's, many building
log cabins in the primitive forest and raising their families. None owned the
land, but were given squatters rights. A relative of Daniel Boone moved to
The Hur Herald (SEE People, Humor and History) published a series of
articles with many photos in Tales of Bear Fork.
Meat dug from the pit and transferred to picnic shelter
Howard Williams and Dip Mace cut meat for sandwiches
Club and family members line-up to fill plates
Transportation to the picnic came in many modes
Family and friends enjoy the shade, food and fellowship
Kids will always find the water
Entertainment by family and club members