Child Dies from Strychnine Poisoning in 1926

(06/29/2001)

Transcribed by Norma Knotts Shaffer from microfilm of the Calhoun Chronicle dated 9/16/1926.

Child Dead from Poison

Lucille, the four year old daughter of Mr. and Mrs. William D.J. Johnson of Cabot Station, died Saturday afternoon from strychnine poisoning.

The little child, playing about the house found a box of the tablets which had been used in former sickness, and ate several of them.  Medical aid was summoned quickly and everything possible was done to save the child's life but to no avail.  The tablets were well hidden and it is a mystery how the little hands sought them out.

Mr. Johnson is an employee of the Hope Natural Gas Company at Cabot Station and with his family has lived here since the plant was put in operation several years ago.  He and his excellent wife have the sympathy of the community in their tragic loss.

Funeral services were held at the home of the parents by Rev. Albert Smith and interment was made in Bethlehem cemetery Monday afternoon.


Hur Herald ®from Sunny Cal
The information on these pages, to the extent the law allows, remains the exclusive property of Bob Weaver and The Hur Herald. information cannot be not be used in any type of commercial endeavor, or used on a web site without the express permission of the owner. ©Hur Herald Publishing, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017