Fire Destroys Johnson Home in 1895

(04/17/2001)

Transcribed by Norma Knotts Shaffer from microfilm of the Calhoun Chronicle dated 1/8/1895.

1/8/1895
Wm. Johnson, who resided about two miles above town, had the misfortune to get his dwelling house and nearly all its contents destroyed by fire last Friday night about eleven o’clock.  The fire originated from a stovepipe which went to the top of the building.  The fire was not discovered by the sleeping inmates until the roof of the kitchen was falling in, and so close were the flames to the sleeping apartments that little or nothing could be saved.  In some part of the building was stowed several hundred pounds of pork and he had just brought in a load of flour a day or two before.  In a bureau drawer in one of the rooms Mr. Johnson had $40.00 in money, all of which went up in the flames.  Loss about $500.  No insurance.


Hur Herald ®from Sunny Cal
The information on these pages, to the extent the law allows, remains the exclusive property of Bob Weaver and The Hur Herald. information cannot be not be used in any type of commercial endeavor, or used on a web site without the express permission of the owner. ©Hur Herald Publishing, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017