The "Clarence"


Built by Charles C. Starcher and named for his son, Judson Clarence Starcher. The gasoline boat was 85 feet long and 16 feet wide. In this photo the "Clarence" was in dry dock at the old Grantsville bridge. An upper deck containing 6 cabins had been added behind the wheel house. It was sold to L.E. Tigner of Parkersburg, who took the "Clarence" to Pittsburgh for the opening game of the Pirates baseball team at Forbes Field in 1915. The trip took 30 hours.

Photo courtesy of James C. Haught

Hur Herald ®from Sunny Cal
The information on these pages, to the extent the law allows, remains the exclusive property of Bob Weaver and The Hur Herald. information cannot be not be used in any type of commercial endeavor, or used on a web site without the express permission of the owner. ©Hur Herald Publishing, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018