|The exhibit list for the 45th annual W. Va. Molasses Festival, Sept. 27th-29th, have been announced.|
Exhibits must be brought to the West Fork Park, Arnoldsburg, on Wednesday, Sept. 26th, between 2 and 7 p.m.
Judging will be done on Wednesday evening or Thursday morning. Exhibits must be left on display until 3 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 29th.
Only items shown on official exhibit list will be accepted for judging. All others will be for display only. Quilts must be left until 1 p.m. on Sunday, Sept. 30th.
Those with multiple entries should come as early as possible and have patience with volunteers. Be courteous to those with only a few items and allow them to go ahead and be registered. This should speed up the registration process. For information, call Frances Starkey 304-354-6403.
Department 1. Section A - Field Crops - Classes 1. Apples; 2. Beans; 3. Cabbage; 4. Corn; 5. Gourds; 6. Honey; 7. Onions; 8. Peppers; 9. White Potatoes; 10. Red Potatoes; 11. Pumpkins; 12. Squash; 13. Sunflowers; 14. Tomatoes; 15. Watermelon; 16. Most Unusual; 17. Other
Rules for field crop entries: Exhibit items must be clean. For judging purposes, three items for each entry required.
Department 2. Section A - Canned and Dried Foods
1. Apples; 2. Beets; 3. Corn; 4. Dried Foods; 5. Greens; 6. Green Beans; 7. Hot Peppers with Wieners; 8. Jams; 9. Jellies; 10.Meats; 11. Other Canned Goods; 12. Peas; 13. Peaches; 14. Peppers; 15. Pickles; 16. Pizza Sauce; 17. Relish; 18. Salsa; 19. Sauerkraut; 20. Sausage; 21. Red Tomatoes; 22. Green Tomatoes;
Canned goods must have been canned in 2012 and must be in standard canning jars with rings and disks.
Department 2. Section B - Eggs
Class 1- 1 Dozen Chicken Eggs; Class 2- Biggest Individual Egg; Class 3- Most Unique Egg; Class 4- Most Artistic Egg;;A. Adult - B. Children (12 and under)
Department 3, Section A - Quilts
1. Hand Applique; 2. Machine Applique; 3. Hand Pieced/Hand Quilted; 4. Machine Pieced/Quilted; 5. Embroidery; 6. Novice or First Quilt; 7. Baby Quilt; 8. Wall Hanging; 9. Tacked, Knotted or Tied; 10. Other Quilted Articles.
Antique quilts will not be judged but used only for display Rules: Quilts must be clean, spots will disqualify for judging (except for antique). Must have been completed in last five years. If entered in previous festival or major quilt show, they will be for display only. In order to be judged, quilt must fit in a class. If your quilt is for sale, put a price on your entry form. We will make contact, but handle no money. Quilt tops will be display only. Quilts must be brought in on Tuesday, Sept. 25th
11 a.m. to 7 p.m., and left until Sunday, Sept. 30th; at 1 p.m.. If you can't drop entry off on Sept. 25th, leave it at Houchin's Fabric Shop, along with entry form and it will be picked up. Cash prizes for 1st place. $50 cash prize and special ribbon for judges choice.
Department 3, Section B & C - Needlework -
1. Knitted Items; 2. Crocheted Items; 3. Needlepoint; 4. Plastic Canvas; 5. Embroidery; 6. Cross Stitch
1. Household Items; 2. Garments
Rules: Items must be made during 2012. Items must be clean with no spots or stains. If the items have been entered before, they will be for display only.
Department 3, Section D - Crafts
1. Books or Printed Materials; 2. Christmas Ornaments/Items; 3.Wreaths; 4. Decorated Baskets; 5. Decorated Hats; 6. Decorated Wall Hangings; 7. Stuffed Toys; 8. Dolls; 9. Household Items; 10. Hand Woven Baskets; 11. Beads or Jewelry
Rules: Items must be made during 2011 and must never have been entered before. Items must be clean, with no tears or parts missing.
Department 3, Section E - Woodworking
1. Furniture; 2. Kitchen; 3. Toys; 4.Wood Carvings; 5. Wall Decoration; 6. Canes or Walking Sticks; 7. All Other
Rules: Must have been made within the last five years and must not have been entered before. Must be a finished product, not broken or mended.
Department 4, Art and Photography
Adult and Youth - 1. Black and White Photos; 2. Colored Photos, People; 3. Colored Photos, Scenic; 4. Colored Photos, Animals; 5. Colored Photos, Flowers; 6. Colored Photos, Nature; 7. Miscellaneous; Juvenile - 1. Colored Photos, People; 2. Colored Photos, Animals; 3.Colored Photos, Scenic; 4. Miscellaneous
Adult and Youth - 1. Black and White Pencil Drawing; 2. Pen and Ink Drawing; 3. Water Color Painting; 4. Oil Painting; 5. Mixed Media; 6. Miscellaneous; Juvenile - 1. Black and White Pencil Drawing; 2. Colored Pencil Drawing; 3. Pen and Ink Drawing; 4. Miscellaneous
Guidelines for Photography and Art: Entries must be a minimum of 5x7 and no larger than 11x14. Must be matted and framed. One entry per class per person. Person entering photo must have taken photo. Photos entered in previous Molasses Festival that won a ribbon will not be eligible. Adult entries will be ages 18 and up; youth 13 to 18; juvenile entries, 12 and under.
Department 5. Section A - Horticulture
1. Cut Flower (single flower); 2. Potted Plants; 3. Dried Flowers; 4. Fresh Flower Arrangements;P> Rules: All flowers should be grown locally. Single flower in a clean suitable size vase. Potted plants must be in a clean pot with saucer. Plants should be groomed, remove dirt, spray residue, dead foliage and flowers. All specimens should be in a suitable size container. Commercial growers and dealers are not eligible to exhibit, but may have arrangements for display and advertisement