|Former Calhoun County employee Eddie Harris and his wife Sandra have brought a lawsuit against the county for benefits Harris claims have been denied him after his retirement.|
Harris is represented by Spencer attorney Orton Jones, and the county is represented by Charleston attorney Karen Miller. Calhoun prosecutor Rocky Holmes recused himself from representing the county.
This month, the commission has been wrapping up the county budget for 2012, which goes into effect on July 1.
The county is receiving a $79,000 grant to do much needed repairs on the roof of the courthouse, and the commission is looking at making roof repairs to the annex building occupied by the Town of Grantsville.
A project to extend air conditioning to the courtroom of the county courthouse is moving ahead, using $30,000 in grant funding.
- The commission has put its approval on naming the new bridge at the Calhoun-Roane line - Corder Bridge.
- Former Flood Plain Coordinator Gary Buchanan has been temporarily hired to the position, following the departure of Tina Hart.
- The commission is looking at adjustments for trash pick-up since the Town of Grantsville is going out of the trash business.
- Bob Beall has been re-appointed to the Pleasant Hill PSD.
- Peter Cobbett and J. D. Smith have been appointed to the Calhoun County Park Board.
- Grantsville resident Sue Jordan appeared before the commission regarding animal humane complaints, after which she was advised to put the complaint in writing giving specific information.
- Rena Bowman was re-appointed to the Calhoun Library Board.
- Michelle Smith was re-appointed to the Solid Waste Authority.
- Jerry Riggs resignation was accepted from the Calhoun Building Commission.
- A $1,500 partner contribution was made to the Little Kanawha Transit Authority.
- A fiduciary hearing for the Hall estate was rescheduled for an August meeting.
- The next scheduled meeting is July 11 at 9 a.m.